What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (8/5-6/23)

Mammoth!!!

Trip to mammoth!!!!

I was worried. But turned out none event

Mountain High O2 worked well!!

At 10.5k on O2, center said i was overtaking a 172 by 50 kts. Felt good to hear those words.

Attachments

• IMG_5109.jpg
    IMG_5109.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Did an early flight before it got warm. Just had my BFR yesterday, so today was playtime.

Attachments

• IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 190
Johnson Creek

Yeah, Johnson Creek. So awesome. :)
Spent a couple days with my back country buddies and their heavily modified planes. No problem getting in/out and around in my 7a.
The Harmonica festival was a superb added attraction to the trip.
But, the early morning hot spring session was a great way to start the day!

Attachments

• 20230804_060250.jpg
    20230804_060250.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 175
Brought in the weekend with a scenic flight along the Southern California coast. It has been quite hot here recently, but a 7 PM departure made the conditions just right for this flight.

Attachments

• SC.jpeg
    SC.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 111
  • DP.jpeg
    DP.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 112
Unpacked are re-organized everything after the 19 day trip to Oshkosh and surrounding points. 17 hours logged, half of that IFR either through the top of the smoke or above warm, bumpy air. Five pre-planned stops, three fuel stops (I try to land with two hours fuel in case the airport pumps aren't working and I need to go somewhere else).

A lot of frustrated staring at my cowling. Thought I was ready to drill the horizontal hinges to the upper cowl, but it won't sit flush against the hinges up near the air intakes. Starting to think I'm going to have to do some major surgery up there to get a good fit.

Between that frustration and 100° temperatures, it's been easy to talk myself into doing non-RV things

Worked on getting back instrument current with my neighbor CFII, but we had to put down at KCPP to wait out a passing thunderstorm.

Attachments

• Storm Aug 7 KCPP.jpg
    Storm Aug 7 KCPP.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 157
Expanded my distance envelope a little from my home base. Took my first "long cross country" in the RV-7A to have breakfast in KRBL and enjoyed every minute of it. There is so much varied scenery to fly over in NorCal it's unbelievable. I really love to fly along where the flat central valley suddenly gives way to the beautiful Sierras. Also got to fly through the Beale AFB TFR (with flight following of course, LOL) so that's another first for me.

Then did an overnight stay in KLVK, and while I was there I got to take a friend's teenage son up on an impromptu "discovery" flight. About 5 hours on the hobbs, RV grin the whole way.

Bonus: Got a radio call from tower: "Experimental 12VD make straight in 25R, report 4 mile final, make best possible speed, traffic on downwind."

Oh, don't threaten me with a good time!

Attachments

• IMG_5733.jpg
    IMG_5733.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5735.jpg
    IMG_5735.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Visit the Grandkids

Our Son recently moved to Houston. We’re in South Louisiana, so it’s not like it’s an epic journey, but he’s on the west side of Houston, so it’s not a really pleasant drive. I warned The Blonde that it would be hot, but she was up for it.
What would have been a 4 hour drive on I-10 was a 1:12 flight with no visible traffic. Note: I haven’t really explained what those blue triangles are, on her screen…
Yes, it was hot! But WOW, what a wonderful traveling machine! We’ve been looking forward to going places, in the plane and I think it’s going to happen!

Bonded Canopy

I spent the weekend bonding my -7 tip-up canopy! All went well. Detailed write up on my blog, but wanted to share the small victory.

SikaFlex is some nasty stuff, but definitely gets the job done!

canopy_gif.GIF

Last edited:
McCall Idaho

Made it back to KSAC from McCall Idaho.
Monsoonal flow into the mountains made for some rain dodging south of Boise.
(my -7 really does not like rain)
South of that was easy.

Attachments

• 20230804_103510_resized.jpg
    20230804_103510_resized.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 88
Took off Friday morning, for a 1,700NM round trip to pick up a mate, and continue to Townsville to watch our favourite football team take on their arch nemesis Saturday afternoon... 6 hours out, 7 hours home, and still back in time for a roast dinner Sunday night.

Something to tick off the bucket list. And not bad for an aeroplane I built in my back shed...:D

Pity about the score, though...:(

Wing root fairings...

Oh my - those are awesome. I don't know why so many builders leave the root fairings off completely and just butt the wing up to the fuselage. That makes it look like the builder got to the root fairings and for some reason just gave up and skipped over it. Those look beautiful. Nice work!

I have a set of Jame's wing root fairings on SuzieQ that I bought YEARS ago and really like how they blend the wing into the fuselage. A much better look, IMOH, than just butting the wing up to the fuselage.

That said, I think Van's did some testing years ago and determined that the wing root fairings made little to no difference in cruising speeds. So butting up was easier. But we do many "unnecessary" things with looking good in mind.....;)

Smoke patrol

Quick flight this am - vis was 6-7 in smoke from Canadian fires. Supposed to get worse for a day or two here...

(I live where the arrow is pointing.)

Attachments

• smoke haze.jpg
    smoke haze.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 72
Took my first real cross country. Finished my phase one during the pandemic, schedule, weather, etc. didn't work out till now. Turned a 5 hour drive into a 2 hour flight making a trip to see family in southern Idaho an Ok weekend proposition.

Left my baby outside overnight for the first time ever. At least she had a nice -10 to keep her company.

Also got to take my nieces for their first RV ride.

(only got a decent shot of one of them)

Like BruceW, had to dodge thunderstorms on the flight home. The diversion took me over the City of Rocks. Had a great view, only resulted in a so-so photo.

Back