What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (7/29-7/30'ish)

SPX

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Still pretty hot in SoCal, so I went for a short evening flight along the coast. Then decided to do a stop and go at Oceanside (KOKB) before heading back to the hangar... just because I could.

31 minutes of flying, and about 3.5 gallons of fuel.. Does it get any better than that?!

Attachments

• IMG_8167.jpeg
    IMG_8167.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 110
Cross country

First real cross country flight to LA. Got about 19 MPG, same as driving my truck but at 100mph faster. Great trip and flight to Santa Monica for diner and then to the range with my son (who builds space vehicles down there)

Attachments

• IMG_BE3D468697D5-1.jpeg
    IMG_BE3D468697D5-1.jpeg
    573.9 KB · Views: 108
Taxi and brake test

The RV grin is starting. Preformed taxi & brake tests today on the RV9A build. The punch list is getting smaller!

Attachments

• IMG_1617.jpg
    IMG_1617.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1618.jpg
    IMG_1618.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 172
Greg, nice pedals :)

Oh, and here another thing for the punch list... that cotter pin on the left rudder cable ;)

Just Crossed Half the Country…..

What can you do routinely with an RV-8? Havebreakfast in central Minnesota, and lunch near Lake Tahoe! Stop twice for fuel, look at a (very) little weather, diddle with the autopilot knobs, and listen to an audio book along the way. If I’d tried to airline it, I’d have started with a three hour drive to the Twin Cities, and ended with an hour drive home from Reno - on top of getting to the airport early and waiting two hours in Denver for the next plane.

But I would have gotten further into the audio book! And….I would have missed out on seeing the gorgeous Wind River Range! Somehow I have missed that all these years.

Oh - that left turn in South Dakota? One lonely (but intense) thunderstorm right smack in front of me meant I visited Newcastle in stead of Thermopolis for fuel….

6ACEFE52-B87D-4374-AC28-639CDC8E8AB6.jpg

321E6B46-B977-4E7E-8ACA-E93A0EB40610.jpg

745EEC29-7783-47C0-B6D3-601E3215DB36.jpg

7C03547A-4FC7-4446-82F4-140A92E3E6C9.jpg

Test test

Replace the flap motor
Flew out to Majove to check fuel flow calcs. Seems I have been turning the cal knob the wrong way. Computer was showing 17g/h. DUH!

Attachments

• IMG_5084.jpg
    IMG_5084.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
1 year old gets an RV Grin

This weekend we celebrated the 1st birthday for our first grandchild. He seems to love hanging out in the hangar so I immediately though about the beautiful pedal planes kits from Aviation Products at OSH. Unfortunately my Grandson is only 1, can reach any pedals, and he loves pushing buttons and switches. Obviously this would be a scratch build project with electric drive, a powered propeller, and digital panel with switches, buttons, and lights.

The project took a couple of weeks and is made mostly of ply and is powered by scavenged components from 2 hover boards and e-bike speed control. He loves it!
There is that RV grin again :)

AIL4fc-uhOHpHe12zRClwhQ8hiHBC6OsPR7tooUqcosGgYxO7tZx2YMxfFGTUB5j8af4FV4CxnGIwCl9wH2WeEMQm4kQBEZu8tP5NKptccRpMFpHnlHw-sLynTF5SqxMZ-QeVrIn_BFG7LZWqrVl1JuWw0FS=w794-h595-s-no

AIL4fc-P1NGu6L81McuWq25xMUwT1lVEmUdXJqCIVHFQR1j82BEGLytipwsg6Huu6x32z5T85_-l3bisE8sypSYo7pJrH9FsjUJFMug01yvg7HpCXjNixfIi1twzzcHIGGeGQE58x4PCV_DnzWEYLVbha_3U=w606-h682-s-no

AIL4fc9OFQSJZKJ8fMGjWQNOBugNjU6pe-VMTYG39oiUbTSvAM941GV9h2BoJIywSOqHLlVr0oyHKUr7qa5S84Bfb-X18uk_AFcZ0zGgwASlcxM0VCNRxuQB-R9XErRSUoCyd6iWR5ydY8s3b7j9SDa8bBWX=w800-h545-s-no

Quick flight before leaving town!

I have been commuting from Michigan to San Luis Obispo last month and will be through September. I got home for a week and got a few flights in but got this cool shot taken from my gopro video on Saturday.

I wish I had my plane out here in CA!

Attachments

• 7-28-2023 flight.jpg
    7-28-2023 flight.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 89
Just home from the 20 day Oshkosh trip -- with extra stops added

Savannah to Oshkosh, with long cuts and detours to see friends and family. 17.1 hours, 8.8 logged as actual, and as Siri would say, almost 2,000 nanometers (nm).

Interesting tidbits:
* On the flight north, I was on top of the smoke (mostly) from Knoxville to half past Michigan with no visible horizon and just a tiny patch of ground showing. Reports along the way were 3-5 miles in haze and smoke, clear above. Glad I wasn’t slogging through it VFR like Vic Syracuse!
* Went across Lake Michigan at 10,000 on oxygen (my physiology likes O2), paralleled off shore for a ways before going all the ways across because of buildups. The RV-9A gives a very rough ride in buildups, and they’re well worth avoiding.
* From southern Iowa to Knoxville, flew IFR at 7,000 because the clouds had not read the forecast. Only went through some occasionally, though.
* Stopped for gas in Vandalia, IL. I texted the stop to my sister, but Siri corrected the spelling to Vandalism, IL.
* IFR to Savanah over the Smokies at 9,000, in and out of clouds, so that I had plenty of options in case the engine went poop. Then up to 11,000 for a better view of what buildups might be ahead, Only time on the trip I had the synthetic vision turned on. ADS-B weather was a little on the pessimistic side in terms of precip, but handy for avoiding those buildups.
* While letting the autopilot fly the plane and me paying attention to situational awareness and alternatives, it occurred to me that I was using knowledge, judgment, and experience, but very little skill was required. After all, how much skill does it take to turn a knob or touch a screen? But, let the autopilot fail, especially with no warning and in a time of high workload, and it’s a whole ‘nother ball game.

One result of my base to final turn accident research is identifying botched steep turns as an accident mechanism. When I gave that forum on Tuesday, to an absolutely full Forum 3, two of the men in the front had witnessed such accidents. I also gave a demo flight to an editor and he was glued to the flight instruments on his side. 55° bank, 30° nose down, 500+ feet near instantaneous altitude loss, ball centered and AOA on the green dot the whole way. It’s one thing to read about it or see a video, it’s another to see it with your own eyes. Base to final turn loss of control does not mean high AOA, does not mean stall/spin, just like a botched steep turn at altitude or a runway overrun does not mean stall/spin.

I also flew the Redird sim, focusing on AOA. LockheedMartin provides the flight dynamics, and the Redbird AOA response to gusts bore no resemblance to what I observe in the RV-9A. I suspect that the gust model has no vertical component, or the airspeed is undamped, or a combination.

Based on this trip, and the flight with the editor, the next AOA data gathering flights will be on final approach in summer thermals and downdrafts. We’ll see what the data says… and the videos.

Starting him out on tailwheels I see

This weekend we celebrated the 1st birthday for our first grandchild. He seems to love hanging out in the hangar so I immediately though about the beautiful pedal planes kits from Aviation Products at OSH. Unfortunately my Grandson is only 1, can reach any pedals, and he loves pushing buttons and switches. Obviously this would be a scratch build project with electric drive, a powered propeller, and digital panel with switches, buttons, and lights.

The project took a couple of weeks and is made mostly of ply and is powered by scavenged components from 2 hover boards and e-bike speed control. He loves it!
There is that RV grin again :)

AIL4fc-uhOHpHe12zRClwhQ8hiHBC6OsPR7tooUqcosGgYxO7tZx2YMxfFGTUB5j8af4FV4CxnGIwCl9wH2WeEMQm4kQBEZu8tP5NKptccRpMFpHnlHw-sLynTF5SqxMZ-QeVrIn_BFG7LZWqrVl1JuWw0FS=w794-h595-s-no

AIL4fc-P1NGu6L81McuWq25xMUwT1lVEmUdXJqCIVHFQR1j82BEGLytipwsg6Huu6x32z5T85_-l3bisE8sypSYo7pJrH9FsjUJFMug01yvg7HpCXjNixfIi1twzzcHIGGeGQE58x4PCV_DnzWEYLVbha_3U=w606-h682-s-no

AIL4fc9OFQSJZKJ8fMGjWQNOBugNjU6pe-VMTYG39oiUbTSvAM941GV9h2BoJIywSOqHLlVr0oyHKUr7qa5S84Bfb-X18uk_AFcZ0zGgwASlcxM0VCNRxuQB-R9XErRSUoCyd6iWR5ydY8s3b7j9SDa8bBWX=w800-h545-s-no

GBitzer,
Never too soon to spoil the daylights out of him.

Sweet job.

Happy Landings,
Daddyman

Back