What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (6/17-18/2023)

Prepping for the move

Pulled the fuselage from the paint booth and temporarily installed prop, cowl and canopy in preparation for “The Move”. Sometime this week N761GS will be at its new home at KTXK and awaiting final assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_1480.jpg
    IMG_1480.jpg
    1,022.5 KB · Views: 160
Finished up a photo essay called "wretched cowling pt 1-5" and posted it to my build log :)

Attachments

• IMG_8381.jpg
    IMG_8381.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 135
My home base, Tampa Executive (KVDF), had a tenant appreciation day (food truck, corn hole, face painting for the kids, etc) and asked a number of us to display our planes on the flightline in front of the terminal. Good time and a great chance to meet my “neighbors”.

Attachments

• IMG_7231.jpeg
    IMG_7231.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_7234.jpeg
    IMG_7234.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 143
On Thursday flew up to Hurricane Ridge which is on the north side of the Olympic Peninsula. The Hurricane Ridge Day Lodge, built in 1952, burned to the ground in early May. Hurricane Ridge looks out over the Olympic Mountains to the south.

Olympic Mountains (looking south):

i-x8hPgP8-XL.jpg

Hurricane Ridge (looking north) with the Strait of Juan de Fuca and Canada in the background:

i-wSMqLLh-XL.jpg

Overhead the burned out Day Lodge:

i-pMKTHht-XL.jpg

Boone RV Days

Light crowd Saturday but always good to see everyone

Attachments

• IMG_3862.jpg
    IMG_3862.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 70871031977__8A3B8176-73A0-4516-A987-911AEFCC5F2C.jpg
    70871031977__8A3B8176-73A0-4516-A987-911AEFCC5F2C.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 151
Practice weekend for the Freedom to Fly Formation Display Team, sponsored by the Sports Aircraft Association of Australia, AvPlan EFB, Skyfuels, UPRT and Punkin Air Sports canopy covers.

We maxed out Cowra (YCWR) for three days. Individual element practices, large formation manoeuvring, and a few run-throughs of our whole show routine.

Dominic from Full Throttle Photography, Lorenzo Hariman and Martin Ongley were there to take photos and video to help us debrief.

We're going to be performing at the Pacific Airshow on the Gold Coast in Australia in August this year. A dozen RVs with a Yak-55 up front. It's going to be epic. 57 cylinders of awesome.

And while I'm here: The whole team is putting in a lot of work to make this thing successful, but I can't say enough good things about the behind the scenes work that's being done by Eddie Seve to make it all work. Everything from chasing sponsorship, to arranging accommodation for our mass training weekends, to ferrying 2000 litres of aerobatic smoke oil around the countryside (we helped him by squirting about 800 litres of it out of our exhaust pipes over the last 3 days). Outstanding work deserving of a special mention.

- mark

Attachments

• IMG_7775.JPG
    IMG_7775.JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_7774.JPG
    IMG_7774.JPG
    454.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_7783.JPG
    IMG_7783.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_7773.JPG
    IMG_7773.JPG
    252.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7813.JPG
    IMG_7813.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_7816.JPG
    IMG_7816.JPG
    411.2 KB · Views: 114
First formation flight training this weekend for a newby Cincy River Rat. First flight was a 2-ship with me as lead in my RV6 and IP extraordinaire, Billy Bie riding side saddle with Steve Pollack in his new RV7. Very successful first flight, more to come with him going forward. Then I flew to Middletown, OH (close by) for the National Aeronca Association Annual Convention. A field full of “Air - Nockers” was something to see.

Billy getting ready for the briefing:
IMG_2964.jpg

Air Nockers:
IMG_2965.jpg

IMG_2966.jpg

I took my son up for his first night flight.

We flew out to see some family for a Father's Day BBQ and enjoyed a perfectly clear return trip during the final vestiges of sunset. I had told my son that flying at night was a particular joy of mine because the air tends to be smooth, the skies less crowded, ATC more accommodating, and you can slide back the RV-6's canopy sun shade to enjoy the stars.

The city lights over southern California fascinated him to the point that he almost forgot to ask if he could fly.

Almost.

--Ron

P.S. Excuse the poor photography. Best I could do under the circumstances.

Attachments

• IMG_1414.jpeg
    IMG_1414.jpeg
    506.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1415.jpeg
    IMG_1415.jpeg
    557.6 KB · Views: 127
Forgetting the phone was the bone head mistake. It's something I've never done before. My father (retired United pilot) recommending adding "Phone" as a pre-engine start checklist item.

post-maintenance flight

Post-maintenance flight locally, pic is about 4 miles north of my home airport.

Attachments

• clatsop_plains_1600.jpg
    clatsop_plains_1600.jpg
    605.8 KB · Views: 154
Grandsons first ride. Only taxi around the airport but he loved it. Maybe someday his parents will let him go for a real ride!

Attachments

• Miles.jpeg
    Miles.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 144
Hazy trip

I flew my ZZTop cousin up from Hopkinsville, KY to Zelienople, PA (Pittsburgh) to visit his parents. I’ve been wanting to do this for a while and finally got the chance to do it. Love my Time Machine. Very hazy trip, both ways.

IMG_0828.jpg IMG_0778.jpg
IMG_0781.jpg IMG_0877.jpeg

I finally got the new prop governor installed. See posts number 7 and 19 in this thread, https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=217342. Since the oil filter was in the way, I couldn’t finish the oil change until I got the governor installed. Any way, I got it all rigged properly, finished the oil change, and rolled the airplane outside for an engine run and leak check. I didn’t make any changes to the propeller low pitch stop so that should still be set properly, but I checked anyway. 2650 rpm… perfect. The prop cycled perfectly. This governor seemed to cycle the prop more aggressively at 1700-1800 rpm than the old one. The old one always seemed sluggish at 1800 rpm. This one seems more normal. And no leaks! So the cowl went back on. Too late and too tired for a test flight, it would have to wait until the next day.

The next day, Sunday, I made a a plan for flying to BQ1 for some awesome North Carolina barbecue at the famed Pik n Pig with an alternate plan of remaining in the pattern, landing, and having to readjust the governor. Shortly after takeoff, I couldn’t believe my eyes. The rpm was holding at 2710! This governor was set up perfectly out of the box. I got up to cruise speed and played with the prop lever a bit. All was good and I continued with the primary plan. I climbed up to 11,500’ once clear of the Atlanta Class B and enjoyed a nice smooth ride and a 20 knot tailwind. Life’s good!

When I arrived, there were already half a dozen Cessnas and Pipers parked and there was a small crowd outside. I wasn’t even out of the airplane before some folks came over and started asking the usual questions and complimenting the airplane. It took me 20 minutes to walk the 10 paces to the restaurant, but it’s always fun to talk about my beloved RV.

And the BBQ did not disappoint. It was great along with the banana pudding! I hadn’t been back since the old building burned down. The new restaurant is great! I’ll be back!

Ok, so I did have a headwind coming back, but it was so nice and smooth at 12,500, I was enjoying the ride. Closer to Atlanta, I had to dip below the Bravo and circumnavigate some showers. Approach cautioned me about wake turbulence from a DAL A350 and asked if I had him in sight. I reported that I had the “company” traffic in sight. It brought a a self-induced grin to my face. I love my job and it pays for my airplane habit; what’s not to like?!

Today, as my weekend continues, I applied some paint protection film to the leading edges of the flaps. My airplane’s paint was recently “touched up.”

Looking forward to the next RV adventure!

P.S. I can’t figure out how to un-rotate these pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_9444.jpg
    IMG_9444.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_9445.jpg
    IMG_9445.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_9446.jpg
    IMG_9446.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_9448.jpg
    IMG_9448.jpg
    642.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_9450.jpg
    IMG_9450.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 118
P.S. I can’t figure out how to un-rotate these pictures.

Great write up Jerry. Great to start reading about your weekend RV8 flights again.

My iPhone pictures do the same thing. I’ve found that if I use the iPhone’s photo editor and rotate the pictures 360 degrees they will appear correctly when attached on VAF posts. It’s weird how they appear to have the original orientation after rotating in the photo editor, but it corrects the orientation for VAF.

I hope this helps.

Keith

Made our longest trek yet on Saturday. Although at RV speeds it doesn't sound too impressive. We went to the Mid Atlantic gathering of RVs in Maryland from Western NY. Only took an hour to get there but almost 1.5 hours to return due to the headwind. Our friends couldn't believe we flew to Maryland and back and were back home by 4PM. That includes being 30 minutes from our hangar.
20230617_121601.jpg

20230617-091807.jpg

Last edited:
You went WHERE for lunch....???

Our friends couldn't believe we flew to Maryland and back and were back home by 4PM. That includes being 30 minutes from our hangar.

I try to be casual :rolleyes: when I say I flew up to Columbus, MT to take Allen and Larry to lunch. 2.5 hours one way (385 miles). If I left early enough, I could take them to breakfast and be back HOME by lunch! Magic carpets indeed!!:):)

Great write up Jerry. Great to start reading about your weekend RV8 flights again.

My iPhone pictures do the same thing. I’ve found that if I use the iPhone’s photo editor and rotate the pictures 360 degrees they will appear correctly when attached on VAF posts. It’s weird how they appear to have the original orientation after rotating in the photo editor, but it corrects the orientation for VAF.

I hope this helps.

Keith

Thank you very much Keith. I’ll give that a try next time.

Yup, feels good to get back into regular RV flying. Glad you enjoyed the write-up. Looking forward to more trip and bbq write-ups.

Back