What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (12/16-18/2002)….includes Friday.

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
I flew Friday morning (16th) for a bit (yay!) post-cold and due to a cold front that pushed through, could see wind turbines 31 n.m. away west of Gainesville (GLE) from the pattern 1,000’AGL above my home field 52F.

That doesn’t happen very often in Texas, much less from 1,000’ agl.

Hope you have a nice, happy and safe RV-filled weekend.

v/r,dr

Last edited:
A half-hour to check everything in my 9A since it's been a few days, and I have a mission for early Monday morning... then I inventoried my -10 tail kit :cool:

Taken on the 14th.

The San Juan Islands with the Olympic Mountains in the background:

i-jvbcrDk-XL.jpg

A small Glory ring over the Strait of Juan de Fuca near Pt. Angeles:

i-nqz66DG-XL.jpg

Last edited:
After a long day involving some night flying, a commercial checkride, and some tough weather conditions I finally made it home last night. Here is a picture of 5 mi final back home.

Officially a commercial certificated pilot! :D Power off 180 in 20 knots of wind to boot! That is now 2 checkrides I have done in this awesome RV! So appreciative I have had the chance to build and fly one of these. Those of you still building get out there and keep going; it's so worth it!

Attachments

• IMG_3180.jpg
    IMG_3180.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 212
Sigh... fiberglass work...

I'll be chipping away very slowly at the wheel fairing mods and repairs all weekend. I'm actually somewhat alarmed at how much I resent having to do this kind of work now that the airplane is flying. But the MI weather is cruddy anyway, so might as well so something airplane-ish.

Attachments

• 221216 5s.jpg
    221216 5s.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 275
  • 221216 6s.jpg
    221216 6s.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 219
Wreaths Across America flyover.
Three 8's, and a couple of those planes where the wheels go up.

Attachments

• IMG_2684.JPEG
    IMG_2684.JPEG
    435 KB · Views: 304
After a long day involving some night flying, a commercial checkride, and some tough weather conditions I finally made it home last night. Here is a picture of 5 mi final back home.

Officially a commercial certificated pilot! :D Power off 180 in 20 knots of wind to boot! That is now 2 checkrides I have done in this awesome RV! So appreciative I have had the chance to build and fly one of these. Those of you still building get out there and keep going; it's so worth it!

Congratulations Jereme!
Did your examiner count your RV as a Technically Advanced Aircraft, or did you have previous dual in a retractable (or am I way behind in rule changes?)?

Congratulations Jereme!
Did your examiner count your RV as a Technically Advanced Aircraft, or did you have previous dual in a retractable (or am I way behind in rule changes?)?

I think the retract thing changed many years ago, long after I got my commercial in a POC 172RG.

and Congrats Jereme!

Well, not "my" RV, but I got a full RV flight this weekend and some practice approaches for the log book. Then back to grinding on the RV8. In the interim, I've been spending most flights in a beautiful Super Decathlon working on my IAC competition skills. There may even be a trophy on the shelf. I have more hours flying aerobatics in the last 6mo, than I did in the previous 2yrs flying the RV. Life changes!

I need to talk to Crow about a change of plan for a ratchet lap belt for the RV8.

Last edited:
Congratulations Jereme!

I think the retract thing changed many years ago, long after I got my commercial in a POC 172RG.

and Congrats Jereme!

Thanks guys!

You still have to have complex or TAA time to be eligible for the checkride but you no longer have to bring one to the checkride itself. My RV is TAA and I have about 30 complex so I was good either way.

If my understanding is correct I think you used to have to do at least a portion of the checkride in a complex.

Scott, funny you mention the 172RG; that's what most of my complex time is in and my examiner referred to is the "Gutlass RG". haha :)

Thanks guys!

You still have to have complex or TAA time to be eligible for the checkride but you no longer have to bring one to the checkride itself. My RV is TAA and I have about 30 complex so I was good either way.

If my understanding is correct I think you used to have to do at least a portion of the checkride in a complex.

Scott, funny you mention the 172RG; that's what most of my complex time is in and my examiner referred to is the "Gutlass RG". haha :)

Yes, in the ‘old days’, you had to furnish a retractable for the performance maneuvers. Same for initial CFI applicants. (The faa changed the check ride rules after they lost an examiner giving a check ride in a very high time Arrow, which shed a wing (spar corrosion).). I guess it was okay to lose pilots and cfi’s, but not examiners! I still remember my commercial check ride, also in a 172RG. I was asked for the ‘engine at idle’ landing at an airport with a pretty stiff crosswind, and I touched down in a slight crab. Examiner grumbled, said, “Let me show you how to do that.” He then proceeded to land exactly as I had, in a slight crab. All he said was, “Not much rudder authority in this plane, is there?” I just said “Nope.” No further discussion.

Backcountry Santa 2022

There were 55 airplanes delivering Christmas packages to the Indian Nations this year. All planes took a load from KSLC to 1 of 2 paved strips or 1 of 3 gravel strips. Other planes then shuttled the loads from the paved strips to the nearby gravel strips. All pf the destination strips were in southern Utah and northern Arizona. The weather was beautiful with clear skies and temps in the low 20's.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/B4m9YSX7cFwGnmMj8

Last edited:
Terry hung his engine this weekend (congrats!) - I'm removing mine this weekend :( Whole saga on a different thread - ECI Cerminil cylindners finally bit me, so it's going back to Aero Sport. Oh well, I'm trying to look at the bright side - by spring my engine will have had a very thorough internal inspection, reconditioned cylinders, new paint, and peace-of-mind as i continue my IFR training. It's only money, right?

Yes, in the ‘old days’, you had to furnish a retractable for the performance maneuvers. Same for initial CFI applicants. (The faa changed the check ride rules after they lost an examiner giving a check ride in a very high time Arrow, which shed a wing (spar corrosion).). I guess it was okay to lose pilots and cfi’s, but not examiners! I still remember my commercial check ride, also in a 172RG. I was asked for the ‘engine at idle’ landing at an airport with a pretty stiff crosswind, and I touched down in a slight crab. Examiner grumbled, said, “Let me show you how to do that.” He then proceeded to land exactly as I had, in a slight crab. All he said was, “Not much rudder authority in this plane, is there?” I just said “Nope.” No further discussion.

I remember that accident but didn't know that's what led to the changes. Learn something new everyday.

Awesome check ride story too!

I flew around the LA basin and re-upped my night tailwheel currency.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    792 KB · Views: 127
What did I do with my RV (RV6) this weekend? I took it apart in preparation for a paint job. It took me longer than I thought it would - about 3 1/2 hours. I’m sure it will take me more than twice that long to put it all back together again. I told the paint shop that I want to do this (not that I don’t trust them……)

283C841B-6913-4737-B262-C692824B6425.jpg

Panel progress...electron flow soon.

Installed my new Dynon HDX EFIS today. This one replaces the original 10" Touch I had before. I've had it over a year, but it's time for it to go in. I need to refresh and brush up on the VP-X and Dynon installation/config manuals to properly set it up. Haven't "flipped" the switch yet but that time is close.

20221218_HDX INSTALL.jpg

Quick trip from Pennsylvania to Georgia and back. On the return flight we slipped under KPIT class B and had a spectacular view of the Steel City glowing in the setting sun.

Attachments

• 2E15730E-840E-4FD0-82A1-5C3AF9FBDC7F.jpg
    2E15730E-840E-4FD0-82A1-5C3AF9FBDC7F.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 162
Quick trip from Pennsylvania to Georgia and back. On the return flight we slipped under KPIT class B and had a spectacular view of the Steel City glowing in the setting sun.

Wow you just gave me a mission when I get through phase 1. I have a buddy who loves downtown Pittsburgh. That's a ride he would love. My 9A just flew last week for the first time. Can't believe it was 7 years ago you gave us a ride in your new 10. Do you remember that trip to Brokenstraw?

Dave, that was a fun day, flying off the grass at Brokenstraw, and yea, where did seven years go? Congratulations on the first flight, I really look forward to seeing the 9A.

3MY to PGD

Departed runway 36, 3MY, 7:50 am Sunday. 13 degrees F, Winds 10 knots out of the west, NP. Light dusting of snow on ramp, but not slick. Runway was clear, but when I added power, I found out it was ice - Interesting takeoff - Don’t think I would have landed on that. Nice tailwind, GPS showing 180-190 knot ground speed. Flew 3 hrs to Macon GA area, PXE, fueled, and then flight of 2 with VAF friend Pilotkms, Keith to Cedar Key FL, CDK for clam chowder. CDK has been on my list for years, beautiful approach over the water, landing was no problem for an RV, only used 680 ft of runway. Then I continued south to Punta Gorda FL, PGD & Keith went back to PXE. 950 nm, not a bad day - These RVs are wonderful traveling machines. Merry Christmas to my VAF friends.

Attachments

• 484EA227-81DB-4A1E-BF7E-0BA91EA24957.jpeg
    484EA227-81DB-4A1E-BF7E-0BA91EA24957.jpeg
    678.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 467E7248-06F6-419C-A49B-4AA2305E73E0.jpeg
    467E7248-06F6-419C-A49B-4AA2305E73E0.jpeg
    511.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 23C7C969-FB3F-44BF-9BD6-9D6278113B87.jpeg
    23C7C969-FB3F-44BF-9BD6-9D6278113B87.jpeg
    750.3 KB · Views: 101
Back