What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (11/18-19/2023)

Signed off on Phase 1 (task based) Saturday. Flew outside my 75 mile restricted area for the 1st time…. Woohoo. Hello world, well actually, hello continental United States.

Attachments

• IMG_1973.jpg
    IMG_1973.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 106
If we have a sunset flight photo, seems that we should have a few that cover the sunrise!

Attachments

• IMG_9755.jpeg
    IMG_9755.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_9758.jpeg
    IMG_9758.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 107
east Kentucky foothills

A mid-day pic to go between the pretty sunrise and sunset.

Please ignore the dusty wing skin - my magic carpet shares hangar space now with a saw mill, table saw, planer, and stacks of drying boards. Haven't yet worked out the interior ecosystem to keep the shiny stuff shiny :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_5816.jpg
    IMG_5816.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 134
4.6h from Bankstown (YSBK) to Goolwa (YGWA) via Wagga Wagga (YSWG) and Kerang (YKER).

Departed on the SID. Did the ILS at Wagga Wagga for currency. Smooth sailing the rest of the way over a thousand kilometres of relatively featureless pasture with nil topography.

Annual inspection. I'll fly home next week.

- mark

Attachments

• IMG_8440.jpg
    IMG_8440.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 186
Maybe nil topography

... but a lot more places to put her down in the music stops than the endless forests of Appalachia!

... but a lot more places to put her down in the music stops than the endless forests of Appalachia!

Oh heck yes, we are definitely spoiled for choice in Australia when it comes to emergency landing options.

I tell my European friends that the typical Australian field is 400 acres and completely flat, and they don't believe me :)

- mark

I prepped for a flight to San Luis Obispo with my son... then cancelled it due to numerous pireps for severe turbulence accompanied by as many overlapping AIRMETs and SIGMETs for turbulence as I've ever seen over California.

Santa Anas are incoming, but I was surprised to see such turbulence when they haven't arrived yet. Those things are no joke. A local school has a weather package on site and they've clocked gusts over 100 mph before.

My boy was disappointed, of course... but sometimes *not* flying is the best lesson I can give him. This one was accompanied by tales of severe turbulence from flights past.

We're regrouping for another attempt on Wednesday. (Would that qualify for a "What did you do with your RV this weekend?" post?)

--Ron

Attachments

• Image 11-19-23 at 9.37 PM.jpeg
    Image 11-19-23 at 9.37 PM.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
--- snip ---

We're regrouping for another attempt on Wednesday. (Would that qualify for a "What did you do with your RV this weekend?" post?)

--Ron

I would call that a "What did you do with your RV this weekend?" and use a title something along the lines of "because of turbulence Saturday & Sunday, my RV weekend was delayed to Wednesday!"

Better to be down here wishing you were up there than to be up there wishing you were down here. -said may experienced pilots.

Monday morning YE rides. Four kids, always a pleasure.

One young man asked to not go after being strapped in. I told his dad don't worry...he would be back next year, because his brother loved it. Sibling rivalry and all that rot.

Best pilot was the young lady below.

One big kid too...the city finance director. Airports always need friends in the right places, and Ms. Julie is our champion.

Attachments

• IMG_20231120_164221.jpg
    IMG_20231120_164221.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 247
Lompoc

I prepped for a flight to San Luis Obispo with my son... then cancelled it due to numerous pireps for severe turbulence accompanied by as many overlapping AIRMETs and SIGMETs for turbulence as I've ever seen over California.

Santa Anas are incoming, but I was surprised to see such turbulence when they haven't arrived yet. Those things are no joke. A local school has a weather package on site and they've clocked gusts over 100 mph before.

My boy was disappointed, of course... but sometimes *not* flying is the best lesson I can give him. This one was accompanied by tales of severe turbulence from flights past.

--Ron

Flew into Lompoc. Saw the forecast for light winds, but got bounced around pretty good flying under the class bravo shelf at 4500’. Once clear, went up to 6500 and all was better. Must of have been a large inversion layer keeping the winds close to the ground. Say quite a large wind shift at 6500’ compared to sea level over the water. Never have seen this before.

The picture is of the Santa Monica mountains that is producing all the chop.

Attachments

• IMG_5645.jpg
    IMG_5645.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 74
Back