What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (1/27-28/2024)

Officially completed phase 1 this morning!

Attachments

• PXL_20240127_150950532.jpg
    PXL_20240127_150950532.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 114
Waiting, waiting, waiting. Seems like weeks since we had a day without fog and drizzle here in STL. Visibility has been 1/4 mile with ceilings of 800 for over a week. I wish it would clear. I got some flying to do.

Stepped away from the keyboard and drove out to the airport Sunday for a couple of hours to wash the car for the first time in 2 1/2 months. We are back to clear skies here in North Texas and there were lots of RVs out doing stuff. I got some pictures with my phone :)

IMG_3125.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3113.jpeg
    IMG_3113.jpeg
    806.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3115.jpeg
    IMG_3115.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3120.jpeg
    IMG_3120.jpeg
    947.8 KB · Views: 81
  • VAFDR_ 147 Jan. 28.jpg
    VAFDR_ 147 Jan. 28.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 62
First time in 2 weeks no nasty weather in the desert. So I flew into North Las Vegas. I tried the route over Death Vally, Pahrump o er Red Rock Canyon trying to avoid going through McCarren Class Bravo. ( Last time I tried the south route via Henderson, Flight following couldn't let me go North and I ended up at Henderson)

My route this time was Baker to Lucky to KVGT. This is not the way to go. I came in too high over Red Rock and had to do some turns to get down and sequence into North Las Vegas. I have to figure out a better way. (Especially when leaving at night)

Attachments

• IMG_5953.jpeg
    IMG_5953.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Another weekend gone... :(

This weekend was spent taking it easy after a round of covid the week before and polishing the aeroplane from top to bottom. It was boring... but I've been getting it ready for the flight north to attend the Sport Aircraft Association fly-in in a couple of weeks.

I also removed the lightweight tailwheel to install the Flyboys Axle Bolt, but found one of the sealed bearings.... er... wasn't. As a result of the seal popping off the bearing, all manner of dust and dirt had gotten in and what should have been a five minute job then turned into a 45 minute drama. Oh well... should be good now for another 100 hours, right?

Looking forward to going flying in what is meant to be our summer!

I'm entering the twenty first century and installing led lights. The power supply is mounted behind the baggage compartment. Since I have a taildragger (I heard chicks dig them!) my head was pointed downhill. I'm not saying it was awkward but I panicked for a moment when I realized my phone was on the bench and I wouldn't be able to call for help if I couldn't get back out.
God help me, I'm going back in tomorrow to finish up. Lots of Tylenol.
danny

Had an RV-4 maintenance visit to keep "Casper" (76WE) and RV- Mini Me company.

Attachments

• 2.5RV4s.jpg
    2.5RV4s.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 73
Also, extending the weekend thru today…. First weather in over a month to exercise the airplanes. It was very bumpy so the video was difficult to take. Also, I like to give our military craft some space, and at 1000’, pictures are not the best.
Occasionally, I get treated to the Coast Guard practicing in the big waves. While it doesn’t show well, these are 50’ boats, riding 20’ plus waves. Fun to watch.

Attachments

• IMG_9010.jpeg
    IMG_9010.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_9015.jpeg
    IMG_9015.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
Very Nice!! What paint and process are you using?
Imron AF400 polyurethane primer and topcoat

Here is what I did.
Wash with dawn (rinse), acid etch (rinse and towel dry), alodine wait 3-5 mins and rinse. Let dry overnight.
Before painting wipe down with 91% isopropyl alcohol and let dry ( Just takes a few mins). Then wipe with a tack cloth and paint.

We used a 3M accuspray gun system with 2.0 PPS. 1.1 nozzle for primer and 1.2 nozzle for paint.

It‘s a LOT of work! If there is ever another plane it’s going to a paint shop. 😳

My weekend is always displaced by a day or two due to work. We had beautiful 60 degree weather here in Colorado today, so I finally primed my wheelpants and VS top fairing. My wheelpants were damaged in a landing incident almost 4 years ago. I repaired them to functional status almost immediately, but have been enjoying flying so much that, up to today, haven’t spent any time bringing them to pretty status again! The plane has been almost 100% dispatch reliable so i have a real hard time taking it out of service for cosmetics!

Composites are amazing in terms of being rebuildable. I felt like I was putting Humpty back together again!

IMG_7555.jpeg

1706656609958.jpeg

1706656701433.png

Waiting, waiting, waiting. Seems like weeks since we had a day without fog and drizzle here in STL. Visibility has been 1/4 mile with ceilings of 800 for over a week. I wish it would clear. I got some flying to do.
Indiana…… two weeks

Back