What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do w/your RV this weekend? (June 8-9, 2024)

Old white guys boiling themselves in the hot pools on the Payette. Land Warm Springs Creek, hike a mile or so. Big fun.

Warm Springs pirep: land uphill, one way in and reverse out. Currently do NOT roll up past the windsock. Upper end is full of big critter holes.

Attachments

• 10176.jpg
    10176.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20240607_114327771_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240607_114327771_HDR.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Old white guys boiling themselves in the hot pools on the Payette. Land Warm Springs Creek, hike a mile or so. Big fun.

Warm Springs pirep: land uphill, one way in and reverse out. Currently do NOT roll up past the windsock. Upper end is full of big critter holes.
Oh, the glare off those pasty-white legs! 🤣

Took the wife to KBKL downtown Cleveland. Nice location with short walk to rock and roll hall of fame. Stayed the night and being overly anal about our RV only being a few months out of Phase 1 and rain coming asked if it could be put inside for the night. Wife not very happy when bill came in for hangar stay more than our hotel night cost. :eek:
IMG_3578.jpeg

IMG_3596.jpeg

There was a nice little scrub on the starboard position light lens that far too many RV’ers would run a finger over as they walked around my plane. So I spent an hour wet sanding 600-3000 and then Novus 3-2-1 to get rid of the 1/4” scrape, leaving only a thin shallow gash for (maybe) another day.
IMG_4335.jpeg

I then needed to taxi for a fill up given our trip to Vancouver tomorrow. Took a right towards the runway instead of a left to the pumps, because a quick 0.2 with a little upside down time while flying to the pumps is SO much better than taxiing. 😁

Airplanes and Coffee event in Sulphur Springs, Tx. Hot and Wind, bad combination in Texas. Good fly-in attendance.
IMG_2511.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2510.png
    IMG_2510.png
    2 MB · Views: 38
Over the Rockies in Montana, Bitteroot range.
IMG_4962.jpeg

Got the tee shirt at Rapid City
IMG_9354.jpeg

Devils Tower
IMG_5035.jpeg

Change of plans. Slight chance of light rain? Uh, we’re going g to divert.
IMG_5051.jpeg

Fueled and ready to go at Cody, forecast to be clear….just made it out.
IMG_5056.jpeg

Cumulus Building, no electricity, not forecast.IMG_5059.jpeg

Yellowstone East entrance, time to turn back and go south. IMG_5058.jpeg

Heading back out of the East Yellowstone entrance under light turbulence, out of nowhere, we had a yard sale in the cockpit. Headsets, oxygen, hat, reading glasses, my wife asking with tears “are we goi g to be ok”. Yes dear, we’re headed south and around. Made it through Wind River into Jackson with moderate turbulence and too rough to take anymore pics.

Mt. Hood. A welcome sign getting close to home.
IMG_4945.jpeg

Great trip even with the diversions, unforecasted weather, and a bit of a rough ride for a while.

Last edited:
Okay, more airshow practice pics: Dominic Hubert, one of our team photographers, started uploading last night, and ... OMG I think I have my new favorite selfie now.

(I'm the one at the back in my RV-6. The one in the middle is Ollie Geraghty in his RV-7A, and up front is Trent Stewart in the Yak-55)

1718159453456.png

Okay, more airshow practice pics: Dominic Hubert, one of our team photographers, started uploading last night, and ... OMG I think I have my new favorite selfie now.

(I'm the one at the back in my RV-6. The one in the middle is Ollie Geraghty in his RV-7A, and up front is Trent Stewart in the Yak-55)

View attachment 64562
Your pics are awesome

Heading back out of the East Yellowstone entrance under light turbulence, out of nowhere, we had a yard sale in the cockpit. Headsets, oxygen, hat, reading glasses, my wife asking with tears “are we goi g to be ok”. Yes dear, we’re headed south and around. Made it through Wind River into Jackson with moderate turbulence and too rough to take anymore pics.

Mt. Hood. A welcome sign getting close to home.

Great trip even with the diversions, unforecasted weather, and a bit of a rough ride for a while.
Sounds like a great trip! Great pictures! Nice thing about these airplanes is a diversion is usually not an all-day affair!

A while back, someone posted that shoulder harnesses were not meant to be tight enough to hold you down in the seat. My comment was something to the effect of 'I guess you have never flown in Wyoming'.:oops: I have traveled from the Denver area to Montana more times than I can remember, in the air and on the ground. Going through Wyoming, usually north of Laramie, I expect turbulence/wind and the shoulder harnesses are tightened down. Easier to do in the -4 and Cub. If I don't encounter a bunch of wind, which typically has some rough air in it somewhere, it makes it into my log book. "NO WIND in Wyoming!". My apologies to the Wyoming Tourist Board.....😊

Sorry to hear it freaked your Navigator out......:(

Not the weekend, but this morning. Heading south from Oregon to the SF Bay Area (Shasta is coming into view at 11 o’clock). Not in a hurry, and might deviate from the initial plan. But, happy for now to let the AP fly while I enjoy some hot coffee and a breakfast sandwich.
As Travis would say (sing)…
IMG_3623.jpeg
….’it’s a great day to be alive’.

Last edited:
Last Saturday, I finally had time to go fly some Young Eagles at EAA chapter 14. They had almost 50 flights! I managed 2 of those. Always a fun way to spend a day getting kids excited about aviation.

Nice early start to the weekend (well, it seems Thursday is the new Friday, so maybe this is the weekend already). Flew to Sisters (6k5) - in the shadow of the Sisters Peaks in central Oregon. Sisters always has good gas prices, and the little town of Sisters is a great place. Clean, lots of good food choices, and scenic. Once a mill town, it reinvented itself into a bit of stop over destination for those heading to all parts of the Cascades for anything from hiking to skiing. The FBO has a courtesy car and a handful of bikes. Or, it’s less than a mile to walk into town where all the restaurants and shops are located.

Met a fellow RV’er at the fuel bay (shout out to Tony from the SF Bay Area) and we all walked into town and had a nice lunch as well as snagged some killer pastries from the local bakery.

Another great day to be alive (and flyin’ an RV).

Saw the new Cyber Truck, too. Doesn’t seem to be holding up to the PNW weather though.

Attachments

• IMG_3729.jpeg
    IMG_3729.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3718.jpeg
    IMG_3718.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
Back