What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do w/your RV this July 4th holiday weekend (2023)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Celebrating our nation’s Independence Day with a morning flight Tuesday morning (July 4).
IMG_0564-XL.jpg

Entering downwind for KGLE for gas
IMG_0565-XL.jpg

Waiting for the pump. SteinAir keychain sighting <g>
IMG_0567-X3.jpg

Dropped a pitot cover I found on the ground at the counter inside, then came outside to this. How fortunate we are to have this hobby!
IMG_0568-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Mounting wings

Start final install of wings tonight. Riveting Assistant Ms Nancy has proper form.

Attachments

• IMG_1529.jpg
    IMG_1529.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 213
I moved to a less expensive hangar on the airport. It'll save enough money to pay for nearly 70 hours worth of fuel every year.

I also took a friend up for his first RV flight. He's a pilot who owns a beautiful Cardinal on the west end of the airport and helped me schlep all my stuff to the new digs.

--Ron

Flew up to Gatlinburg, TN to celebrate the 4th.

Attachments

• IMG_7298.jpeg
    IMG_7298.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_7309.jpeg
    IMG_7309.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_7316.jpeg
    IMG_7316.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 112
Weight material.....

Phase 1 max gross weight testing. :D

Um......How much more weight testing do you have to do? I involuntarily gasped :eek::eek: when I saw 150 pounds of Portland cement where your passenger goes. I used well-bagged sand as I did not want Portland cement flying around in the cabin if something untoward happened. Breathing that in would incapacitate you. Yes, bags of sand are only 40 pounds (as I remember) but would only be a dusty mess flying around the cockpit. Not that anything is going to happen....but..... IMHO Just a suggestion from one who has taken care of patients who happened to breath that stuff in.......:(

Good point about the cement. I’ll reconsider it for the next flight. I did wrap them better in the plastic before taking off, though. Thanks for the tip. I got plenty of sand, all bagged up. Sounds like a smarter way.

Last edited:
Got a new GoPro to replace the seriously ill Garmin VIRB. Unfortunately, the way that I mounted the VIRB for shooting the panel didn't work for mounting the GoPro, so I had to design a new mount. Today was the mount's first flight, and the results were acceptable, but not perfect.

I inadvertently had the GoPro horizon lock on, so whenever I banked, so did the image. Grr. Also, the reflections were horrendous. A possible reflection solution is to fly with a sun screen over the side with the camera. (I normally fly from the left seat, but to get a full screen flight instrument display, I need to fly from the right seat.)

Today was very hazy, no real horizon, so the mission of documenting difference of indicated angle of attack in slips left and right was kind of a bust -- hard to control pitch attitude in slips without a good horizon. I did document that the difference exists -- knew that already -- but was hoping for quantitative data (or at least semi-quantitative data). That mission will have to wait for better visibility. I'm expecting to see three bars of difference, based on past experience, but that's a wobbly estimate.

Coming back to Savannah in the haze, I asked for the LPV approach. Was cleared to the final approach fix, not vectored, first time for that kind of clearance. Hand flew the approach and the visibility was almost as bad as actual IFR.

Afterwards, I also upped the tire pressure in one of the mains. After my spinal surgeries, one tire at a time is enough! Tomorrow is singing in two over-achieving church choirs, so no flying. Come Monday, I'll re-fly the AOA in slips with an attempt at reflection reduction and also put air in at least one more tire.

Completed Phase I testing, then took my spouse for her first ride in the RV-10. That one ride confirmed that the decision to install air conditioning was the correct one for us. 85 humid Georgia degrees outside, nice and comfy inside.

Completed Phase I testing, then took my spouse for her first ride in the RV-10. That one ride confirmed that the decision to install air conditioning was the correct one for us. 85 humid Georgia degrees outside, nice and comfy inside.

Very nice milestone! So jealous of the AC!

I flew 4 more Young Eagles yesterday morning. Then did an oil change, checked mag timing, lubed the nose wheel fork, and experienced the ease and tranquility of airplane ownership.
Smiley Creek next weekend then prep for the big show at KOSH.

Hopefully fixed a GPS resolution problem on my ADSB.
It was slow about resolving the satellites (once never did) on recent flights.

Crawled into the tail (ugh) to dismount the antenna and cleaned up the antenna to skin interface and remounted.

Post maintenance check showed it resolved the satellites a few seconds after the 430W norm so my fingers are crossed that corrosion was the issue.

Took friends for their first small plane experience

I took two good friends for their first small plane ride along our beautiful coastline on the southern tip of Africa. A lovely winter’s day too.

Took off at my base Mossel Bay and went west to our little village, Boggoms Bay. Second last picture. Then coastwise East to the famous Knysna Heads and then back home. Priceless to see their excitement.

Attachments

• IMG_4102.jpeg
    IMG_4102.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0873.jpg
    IMG_0873.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0872.jpg
    IMG_0872.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0858.jpg
    IMG_0858.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0813.jpg
    IMG_0813.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0851.jpg
    IMG_0851.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 150
I was feeling like visiting red rock country, but didn't feel like taking 6-8 hours in the car to get there and back. So, took the plane.

IMG_3214.jpg

IMG_3199.jpg

Flew a low pass to check out some of the better known airstrips, don't think my skills are quite up to landing there yet. Also, with the nose gear I would want a recent report of smooth and firm conditions before I'd try it.

Not as good at video as most of you guys, but perhaps the scenery makes up for it.

https://youtu.be/EnOG2-Ozwpw

I didn’t do anything with my RV this weekend, but I talked RV with a fellow RV IAC competitor! Does that count? I just got home from flying a work trip with Curt Sullivant, RV-6. He was at my first contest, the 2016 Fall Sebring. Ron Schreck, my mentor at the time and the guy who got me involved in this crazy sport was there too. Curt and I had a lot of fun on this trip talking about RVs and aerobatics!

Attachments

• IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 144
Haven't been doing much flying the past year or two as other hobbies have been in the way.
Decided it was time to get back to it so we flew to Atlanta (KFFC) for a family wedding this weekend. Good weather and 2.5 hrs both ways if you don't mind the haze. Not sure if some of that wasn't smoke haze?
Toured the closed Commemorative Air force hanger on Friday while there.
working on my IPC next weekend.
Jerry, I was probably just out of frame on the Sebring picture. Curt and I traveled to a few contests back then. Didn't realize it was all the way back in 2016.

Phase 1 Complete

Used $3 bags of sand from home depot. Drove home by the beach to free the sand, but realize the road’s shoulder is dirt, not sand. Now I have 250 pounds of sand to pound.

Attachments

• IMG_5034.jpg
    IMG_5034.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Haven't been doing much flying the past year or two as other hobbies have been in the way.
Decided it was time to get back to it so we flew to Atlanta (KFFC) for a family wedding this weekend. Good weather and 2.5 hrs both ways if you don't mind the haze. Not sure if some of that wasn't smoke haze?
Toured the closed Commemorative Air force hanger on Friday while there.
working on my IPC next weekend.
Jerry, I was probably just out of frame on the Sebring picture. Curt and I traveled to a few contests back then. Didn't realize it was all the way back in 2016.

It was smoke and haze, a lovely combination.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the CAF. I always enjoy taking guests there.

Yeah that pic was from 2016. I know Curt and I were at othe contests since then. But he hasn’t been to one since COVID.

I finished up my annual condition inspection (see blog link in signature) on Saturday, then went to see the Beach Boys concert at the Rady Shell in San Diego.
Sunday I took my oldest daughter up to Big Bear for brunch at Thelma's. It was pretty warm up there. Definitely felt it on takeoff, but no issues with getting airborne.
Monday I took my youngest daughter to Nogales, AZ for an appointment with the CBP for her Global Entry interview. Getting an appointment there was easy, versus in California where it would be sometime next year!
We booked an Enterprise rental car at the airport, but when we arrived, no car available! Had to call the local taxi, but we made it there and back with no problems. Taxi was cheaper than the car rental. A big brush fire was burning nearby and there was lots of smoke in the air. The flight back was pretty bumpy, but it finally smoothed out. It was good to finally stretch the legs and do a somewhat long cross country flight.

IMG_4485-M.jpg

IMG_4486-M.jpg

Flew up to Paris,TN from Atlanta to spend Fourth on buddy’s houseboat and stay at new Paris Landing Lodge.

Attachments

• IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_1202.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1203.jpg
    IMG_1203.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1204.jpg
    IMG_1204.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 58
Flew out to Gaston’s lodge on the White River near Lakeview, AR. Great breakfast! There was a nice looking RV9A that landed after us.

Flew out to Bend, Or and back to KSQL

Awesome time. I’d guess it would have taken 9-10 hours to drive there, but only a 2.5 hour flight. Sometimes I guess this hobby can be justifiable! Here’s a photo over Crater Lake.

Attachments

• 468B5EA4-4E98-4E4B-AF37-90EE7A555C00.jpg
    468B5EA4-4E98-4E4B-AF37-90EE7A555C00.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 102
Flew around part of western Washington yesterday.

i-nXxRJLv-XL.png

The Washington State Capital:

i-S3fRT3H-XL.jpg

Mt. St. Helens. It looks much prettier in the winter covered in snow.

i-r6T38FJ-XL.jpg

Mt. Adams:

i-x5XNX93-XL.jpg

Mt. Rainier with its top sticking into a light smoke layer:

i-zTwSnMw-XL.jpg

Glacier Peak under a magnificent soaring sky:

i-dwQ9V3f-XL.jpg

quiet getaway

We're not so excited about the explosions and stuff, so we flew off to our secret getaway, Willapa airport (2S9). A real hidden gem, for a picnic lunch and a nice quiet hike along the river.

Attachments

• willapa1.jpg
    willapa1.jpg
    729.3 KB · Views: 168
  • willapa2.jpg
    willapa2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 111
My home airport. That’s pretty cool to see that in the home page of VAF. The airport is in Raymond Washington. Identifier is 2S9

Back