What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What battery does the kit require?

Fearless

Well Known Member
My brother asked me what battery was being used for the RV-12. I told him I thought it was the PC680 that most people use for the other RV models. Was I correct?

Thanks Marty

I thought it might be - it made since seeing how Vans sticks with what works.

Which is 8 lbs heavier than the PC-310

I fly behind a Rotax 912, 100 horse and the manufacture uses a PC-310 which weights 6 lbs, 8 lbs lighter than the PC-680.

Alternative battery

I fly behind a Rotax 912, 100 horse and the manufacture uses a PC-310 which weights 6 lbs, 8 lbs lighter than the PC-680.
There are other considerations for the RV-12, like weight and balance. For those of us intending to register as E-LSA, we have to buy the firewall forward kit from Van's and it contains the PC-680.
The PC-310 is a quarter inch larger in one dimension. It might not fit into the battery bracket.
The PC-310 has less than half of the cranking power and about one third of the reserve capacity of the PC-680. If the alternator fails, a smaller battery will run down much sooner. This could be important in some situations.
Joe

Back