What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What are these Firewall Holes For

dbuds2

Well Known Member
Let me thank you in advance for your replies, I love this site and all you builder with experience.

I have the newer match drilled RV8 fuselage kit and have been planning the wiring routing. Can someone help me with what some of these holes are:

img35001nl9.jpg

#3 is two holes with nut plates on the firewall angle
#4 is also two holes with nut plates on the firewall angle just above the throttle/mixture/prop holes
#5 is a small, looks like a tooling hole just right of cable holes.
#6 is about a 1/2" hole down low, maybe for 2AWG battery cable (rear Batt), and
there are 2 small holes left and right of main heater box hole, assume for mounting the heater box.

I'm planning to drill:
#1 for mags and alt
#2 use as is for starter contactor and could also fit 2awg battery cable.

brake reservoir ?

I'm building a RV7 but the #4 holes look like the brake reservoir connection point

Dave

#3 are for Adel clamps to support the oil pressure lines. I also supported a run of wiring here using separate Adel clamps.

#4 are for the brake reservoir as previously noted.

#5 Is a pilot hole for one of the engine controls if you are using a CS prop. It will get enlarged if you are using a CS prop. Otherwise, it gets filled with something (rivet with proseal)

#6 if for the fuel line. It will get a bulkhead fitting.

Cheers,
Guy

DWG OP 34-firewall

DWG OP 34 is the plan for the RV8/8A firewall for an IO-360. $3 from Van's; it shows all where all the firewall goodies get mounted, what hardware is required, etc.
Mike

Last edited:
Back