What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What are the notches on F-722 baggage ribs

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
The F-722 side panel baggage compartment ribs have a 3/16 half circle notch on each end of the inward facing flange. Usually when there is such a notch it has a purpose. I cannot see from the plans what they are for. Does anyone know?

The F-722 side panel baggage compartment ribs have a 3/16 half circle notch on each end of the inward facing flange. Usually when there is such a notch it has a purpose. I cannot see from the plans what they are for. Does anyone know?

Way too much effort to go look up a part number reference. Post a picture for such a quick easy question.

Here's a picture

8a31102e51364363aaeb17d3c139bc94

and the other end

083293ec44894286b0b19df5f5ad413e

Those are....

...... lightening holes;) but serve no other purpose whatsoever. Like the previous comment, they are probably tooling holes. The armrests also have them.

I concur, totally useless notch (for the build process). Why it is there I have no idea, but it isn't important to your build.

:D Oh man that was an exercise. After Michael posted I went downstairs checked all my plans and found nothing. Then curiosity took over and I started removing baggage interior panels. Looked everywhere for that notch, nothing. Now I see you figured it out.

Nearly worthless trivia....

It is a "keep the kit price lower", notch.

The left and right side parts are actually formed initially in one piece (fewer forming steps... lower cost).
After the initial hydro forming, the one piece is cut apart down the middle (right through the center of the tooling holes) and then the straight flange is bent on each piece.

Now ya know...

Back