What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Annunciators Did You Install???

float208

Well Known Member
Please share what, if any, Annunciators, Indicators, or Warning lights you have installed any on your instrument panel.

Working out the details on a panel install, and wondering what others have found useful in the RV-10.
Chris

Big old red light that comes with the GRT EIS.

Couple of green lights with a push-to-test button for the door latches.

None!

Well none seperate from the ones in the EFIS EMS and GNS530.

If you get the layout correct you meet the requirements for IFR without them. ;)

I'm putting an IL-12A from Vx Avaition. Unfortunately, Vern has retired this product due to lack of sales. You may be able to work something out with him to build a few more.

The reasons that I went with this unit are:

• Not enough spare annunciator ports on the EFIS
  • Input ports on the EFIS aren't shared across the common bus
  • I don't need to worry about whether the line is high or low
  • Common push to test line
  • Common look for LEDs
I had a variety of devices that provided their own lamp, most incandescant, as well as the Gretz LED board. Vertical Power sells an adapater for the Gretz pitot that makes the lines go low. This way I can roll my own with very little effort. Using the same LED for all annuciators makes the panel look better, in my opinion.

bob

All the same 12v 6mm led 1/2" above grt efis...2 for doors, starter on, master on(as nothing except Dynon D6 would be on if my two doors are closed, efis pwr switches are off and ebus is off), boost pump on, grt eis warning and fire detection.

My MGL EFIS units take care of most warnings including a big ol' DOOR WARNING alert. Internally lit breaker switches in the center panel take care of everything else so no dedicated annunciator panel. Friend of mine had a big annunciator panel built into his turbine lancair. One day flying around Montana he decided to push the annunciator test button. It shut off his fuel controller and he flamed out (oops). Apparently the guys he had build it forgot some diodes. Homebuilts can sure be exciting.

EFIS

I also use just my EFIS. I have the G3X system. It's amazing how fast you train your eyes to notice red or yellow caution flags on the screen. It is just a ground circuit for the door warnings.

I installed a starter led right by the starter switch, and in front of the pilot I have 4 lights: Engine warning tied into the AFS 3500 engine monitor just in case I miss the audio :), an alternator warning light from the B&C regulator, and 2 red door warning lights. The one modification I made to the door warning circuit is that I put a micro switch on the throttle quadrant (hidden, of course) so that power to the door warning circuit is applied only when the throttle is moved forward from low power. This prevents me from getting used to the door warning lights being on if we taxiid with the doors open in the hot weather. Adding power to move onto the runway will power up the lights. Of course we always call "doors closed and locked" so we haven't really tested it yet. :)

Vic

Annunciator control board

I designed my own annunciator control circuit. I had to have several made by the PCB fabricator, so I have a couple of extras if anyone is interested:

IMG_9400.JPG

Here are the features:
- Supports up to 10 annunciator lights
- Includes a push-to-test function
- Each light can be triggered by either +12/24V or ground so you can wire directly to most items you want to annunciate.
- Each channel will drive up to 100ma of current which is plenty for most LEDs.

I'll sell them each for $100 including the DB-37 connector, shell, and d-sub pins.

Out of interest, I have made a few Annunciator panels that use EAO type 31 switches and lamps.
I CNC mill them from billet aluminium and can make a variety of shapes if anyone is interested then pm me for details.
John

The small one is 6 1/2" (165mm) x 1" (25.4mm)
The Larger one is 6 1/2" (165mm) x 1 13/16" (46mm)

P1000238SMALL.jpg

P1000265SMALL.jpg

P1000244SMALL.jpg

P1000287SMALL.jpg

Last edited:
I built an annunciator panel using the lights shown in the above post, that contains the following lights
Master Warning - driven by G3X
Master Caution - driven by G3X
Alternator - driven by plane power alternator built in circuit
Oil Pressure - driven by independent switch obtained from Vans
Door Ajar - driven by 5 mechanical switches through a relay

In addition, all these same functions are duplicated on the G3X EFIS

If by annunciator you mean warning light?

Then I have four of them, not in direct view.
1- A light that is part of GRT and only the very critical items like oil pressure will be activated, the
2- A yellow light that shows over/under voltage connected to the alternator
3- A small light that will come on if my pitot heat stops working
4- A small light that will come on if my canopy latches are not fully engaged.

All other engine and flight related limitations are part of the EIFS and will be getting warning from my EIFS.

i let the Dynon do all the work. No need to clutter the panel and complicate the wiring. However, I did add a green LED at the top center of the panel to indicate when the fuel pump is on.

i let the Dynon do all the work. No need to clutter the panel and complicate the wiring. However, I did add a green LED at the top center of the panel to indicate when the fuel pump is on.

This is probably a model specific desire.

On a RV-10 most of us having warning lights for left and right door. A fair number have Aircraft Extra's low fuel warning device, which adds another two annuciators. Then you have all the other typical warning annunciators.

In my particular case, AFS only supports four inputs per screen. Unfortunately, these inputs aren't shared with the other screens. From a human interface perspective, having four different annuciators on each screen isn't a good idea. I chose to implement a set of annucators above the two main EFIS with LEDs and an annuciator board similiar to the one shown earlier in the thread from VxAviation.

Like most things, it's personal choice and desired function. No one size fit all answer for everyone.

bob

This is probably a model specific desire.

On a RV-10 most of us having warning lights for left and right door. A fair number have Aircraft Extra's low fuel warning device, which adds another two annuciators. Then you have all the other typical warning annunciators.

I realize that and the Dynon's can be wired into those items so it will also give you a warning on the screen and an audio signal in the ear.

I know one guy who put a micro switch on his alt-air door so his Dynon would let him know when it is open.

Back