What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What an RV-9 is good at.....

petehowell

Well Known Member
What an RV-9 is good for.....

Little one came home from soccer and said she "needed" to go flying. It was either that or work on the Dilbertesque "operational metrics dashboard" for one of my clients. Dilbert lost.

It was an interesting sunset in Minne tonight, and the -9 was a great ride for chasing it. Kate was at the controls while I snapped pictures. I just told her to chase the sun. And we did, at a blistering 90 knots.

2003483928555244408_rs.jpg

I think she might make a good IFR pilot b/c without the super booster cushion, she has only the Dynon as a horizon reference. "Blue on top, right Daddy-o" "Yes Kate, blue on top" Notice the steely eyed glare and the light touch on the controls - I need to learn that .... sorry about the bad photo.

2001519284433120900_rs.jpg

One last shot on the way back to the barn of the sunset and some virga below the clouds. It was 55 in Minne today. Better things to come....

2003454796544093926_rs.jpg

We were late for bedtime, so we sped up on the way in and got asked to slow down b/c we were overtaking a Cessna 340 on long final. Pretty much made the evening complete......

Last edited:
Very nice Pete!
Flying with my son or daughter is the best. Although they have never expressed the "need" to go flying (that is cool), I'm sure they will always remember the adventures we have had and adventures yet to come.

Memories

Pete

Wow!

This one will be remembered for a long time. What a beautiful flight. I love to see the kids having fun. She will make a great pilot when she gets to high school.

B.T.W. I also enjoyed looking at the panel illuminated for night flight. Those EFIS displays are very easy to see.

It doesn't get any better

That's what it is all about, taking the kids or grand kids in my case for that ride. Because when I assume room temperature, my airplane (still looking for an IFR 9A) will be the grand kids airplane.

Steve Crimm

Great Shot Andy!

We have not taken the dolls up yet - maybe on the next XC. American Girl needs a "Homebuilder" doll. ;)

Very lucky indeed, thanks for sharing. Nice pics too.

#1 is 22 months but loves airplanes (just moved up to his big boy room with airplanes painted on the wall including a decent looking RV-4!!)

#2 is due in 2.5 weeks and can't wait to take her/him up. Already flown as a fetus many a time so hopefully won't mind too much when ready in a while.

You are very fortunate

My daughter, when a HS soph, was sitting with me in the living room one day as I was prepping for a flight lesson. She'd never brought my flying up, but when I asked if she would like to take flight lessons she came right out of her chair. She took a couple lessons at ORH in 152's and then the "Top Gun" guys came thru the area and I bought her an hour in an SNJ. I spoke to the pilot prior to the flight and he took her up and taught her how to do loops, rolls, etc. She has never been the same!

She took the family flight budget and then some, and went to ERAU. She's a couple years out of school now. The deal was that she would finish school and come home and finish my flight training. I was willing to wait for that. Well, she heard about a job in Maui flying Caravan's inter-island. She made the correct decision and took that job and now is back on the mainland flying King Airs and has her first type rating in Westwinds.

When she started flying the deal was that first, she had to treat her mother well, as she thinks we are both nuts, good grades, work, organize it herself, good citizen, etc. Aviation has been overwhelmingly positive for her and for us. As well as being proud of her, I am happy for her, being able to do something she loves. Now...I guess I should finish my ppl

Pete... you have triggered the idea that will finance my RV-7.. the Homebuilder's Barbie (rated G)... shapeless jumpsuit with rivet gun in one hand and rattle can of NAPA 7220 self-etching primer in the other.

Pete... you have triggered the idea that will finance my RV-7.. the Homebuilder's Barbie (rated G)... shapeless jumpsuit with rivet gun in one hand and rattle can of NAPA 7220 self-etching primer in the other.

...with accessories
#1: Positive airflow HVLP gun with mask.

Great idea Doug W. :)

b,d

#2 - Optional scale-size back riveting plate and Genuine Tungsten Bucking Bar!

Acc pack #3

Deluxe acces pack

A vans airforce t shirt, a laptop to cruise the builders sites, a credit card for orders and a signature not required sticker for her door so the couriers can just drop the next package. And a couple cases of beer, for the long nights building, even some bandaids and oops rivets.

American Girl?

Why do you think I have two jobs and no time to build my dream -8?

That's right, two daughters and one is into aviation, the other just thinks it's cool to spend Dad's money!

Come to think of it. . . they are both good at that!:eek:

Oh yea, and tons of American Girl stuff. . .

Back