What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Am I Missing Here?

Bushwhacker

My wife and I finished our empennage kit on Jan 11, and our fuselage kit arrived Jan 13. (just luck, not good planning). Completed the fuselage parts inventory and all parts were present and accounted for. Feeling good we started on Section 25 page 1-"Mid Fuse Bulkheads". The first reference was to an F-1004A "Center Section Bulkhead". Here's the problem...Not only could we not find a F-1004A part, but it was not even listed on the parts inventory list. After double checking our inventory, we found F-1004B is missing as well, both the part and on the inventory parts list.
What are we missing here? Since these two parts are not on the inventory parts list, does that mean it was left out of the shipment?
Since its Sunday, we have not called Vans yet, but wondered if anyone has had the same experience?
Thanks in advance for your response.

Last edited:
I believe those are the main spar carry through sections which are shipped with the wing kit.

I believe those are the main spar carry through sections which are shipped with the wing kit.

The normal sequence is to do the wing kit before the fuselage kit. This is why you are missing parts. I don't think the spars have to be matched anymore, so you may be able to order that piece by itself. Just be sure to delete that part when you order the wings,

I had an interesting situation. Ordered the quick build wings. When I got to the aileron section, there was a bunch of missing parts for the hinges. Upon closer inspection, the ailerons depicted in the plans were not the ailerons that came with the kit.

Long story short, turns out that Vans will be using up the original -10 ailerons then switch to the -14 style ailerons for commonality. I was shipped a -10 set of ailerons but they put the -14 plans in the kit...

Whew, I thought something major was wrong as the construction of each is different...

I had an interesting situation. Ordered the quick build wings. When I got to the aileron section, there was a bunch of missing parts for the hinges. Upon closer inspection, the ailerons depicted in the plans were not the ailerons that came with the kit.

Long story short, turns out that Vans will be using up the original -10 ailerons then switch to the -14 style ailerons for commonality. I was shipped a -10 set of ailerons but they put the -14 plans in the kit...

Whew, I thought something major was wrong as the construction of each is different...

How do the 14 ones differ from the 10 ones?

The end ribs and hinge mounts are completely different. Apparently the overall size is the same and the hinge axis is the same...they are just put together differently.

Let me tell you, I inventoried every part when I got my kit, then went just about nuts trying to find the parts specified on the plans that were not included in my kit!

Anyway, if your aileron parts seem to be missing or wrong, look at the date on the plans. The older version is dated 11-2003 I think...

"14 Style"

... I must have the newer "14 style" ones, because my plan dates are newer than 2003 and they are building per plan. Would be interesting to see how the older 10 ones went together...

Back