What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Western WA 7A builder borrow engine mount

sglynn

Well Known Member
Hi, is there an RV-7A builder near Arlington, WA that has an engine mount for the 0-360 that would let me borrow it for a day to drill the engine mount holes in my firewall so I can mount a rotisserie to my fuselage? I hate borrowing stuff. Sorry to even ask. I'm a long way from ordering the finishing kit and buying just the engine mount outside of the kit costs an extra $400 bucks. So thought I'd ask. I'm in Anacortes.

If you're willing, I can take you for a joy ride in my Cherokee and show you my shop and hangar. We could drill the holes while you're here so the engine mount never leaves your possession. It would probably take only 15 minutes to drill with your help. Also, I'll make you lunch, you can meet my wife and pet the dog, not vica versa. It would be worth it.

Thanks for considering. [email protected]

Hi Steve,
If it were me then I'd wait until I had my own engine mount.

It would be a horrible experience to drill your firewall off someone else's mount only to discover later that the holes don't quite line up when you do buy your own.

If you want to drill the holes now, I would buy the mount now.

I just don't think the risk is worth it.

Steve Hutt
RV-7 G-HUTY
West Sussex
UK

Drill small holes

Oh, no I'm looking to drill only 3/16 holes for an AN3 bolt now. Later with my own engine mount I will drill for the AN6 bolt. I'm only mounting a rotissierie at this point. And there should be plenty of material for that. I see some even drill small engine mount holes without an engine mount at all and then later enlarge them. I'd just rather use an engine mount not even for the small holes to help with angle of penetration and better but not perfect location. Don't you think using an engine mount is better then simple match drilling the existing holes?

Ah. Now I understand, Steve,

Yes, probably better to use an engine mount. I'd look to manufacture some drilling guides that will centre the AN3-sized holes in the AN6 mount points.
As you say, that should give you sufficient leeway to account for any variation when you finally match drill the AN6 holes with your own mount.

Hope you find a loaner.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I live in Sumner, have a mount, and could help you out in a couple of weeks.

If you don't find anyone closer and don't mind waiting, just let me know and I'd be happy to help.

engine mount

Jeff, thanks for the offer. Timing is great. To avoid driving, I could fly to your nearest airport, probably Thun Field and pick you and the mount up and fly you up to Anacortes. Drill it, and fly you back. I'll send you a private email.

Back