What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

West Coast Trip Advice and Tips

rvanstory

Well Known Member
In late July through early August, I'm planning a cross country trip to the upper west of the US with my wife and sister. I need to land in 7 more states to complete my goal of landing my RV10 in all 48 states of the continental US. We will be departing out of central TX and then need to complete landings in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California and Nevada to complete my bucket list. We will depart with no reservations or detailed agenda, just taking one day at a time to see what we want to see and to do what we want to do. We have approximately 2 weeks for our trip.

If anyone has any insights or suggestions about where to land, where to stay the night, where to eat or what to see on this trip, please give me your insights. We prefer to not go into high traffic "touristy" spots simply because without pre-trip reservations, it could be harder to find accommodations last minute. Smaller, less known communities are more than ok with us. I also prefer paved runways only.

Attached is a preliminary flight path showing the general direction of our trip. Even though this shows airport identifiers, they are only there to show general direction, not specific airports for landing.

Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• CCEAF8AF-91F7-4319-AD43-0E5E2B048498.jpeg
    CCEAF8AF-91F7-4319-AD43-0E5E2B048498.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 157
In late July through early August, I'm planning a cross country trip to the upper west of the US with my wife and sister. I need to land in 7 more states to complete my goal of landing my RV10 in all 48 states of the continental US. We will be departing out of central TX and then need to complete landings in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California and Nevada to complete my bucket list. We will depart with no reservations or detailed agenda, just taking one day at a time to see what we want to see and to do what we want to do. We have approximately 2 weeks for our trip.

If anyone has any insights or suggestions about where to land, where to stay the night, where to eat or what to see on this trip, please give me your insights. We prefer to not go into high traffic "touristy" spots simply because without pre-trip reservations, it could be harder to find accommodations last minute. Smaller, less known communities are more than ok with us. I also prefer paved runways only.

Attached is a preliminary flight path showing the general direction of our trip. Even though this shows airport identifiers, they are only there to show general direction, not specific airports for landing.

Randy,

The two most scenic airports we saw on our 48 state trip were in Oregon and Idaho. KGCD in John Day, Oregon looked like an alpine village. The multi-story FBO has a lodge theme with bunk rooms for pilots. S68 in Orofino, Idaho was by far the most beautiful airport of the trip. Tucked tight in a valley next to the rushing Clearwater river. We just stopped for break in each so I'm not sure about staying the night.

Tip(s):

When I lived on the LEFT Coast, I tried to take off right after sunrise to help avoid the turbulence and winds that develops over the desert and mountains. Been known to go high to avoid the turbulence but still need to deal with the winds and bumps to land for fuel.

For me, I was usually exhausted after 6 to 8 hours of flight time. Two or three legs were typically all I would fly in a day. Oxygen is helpful to keep you alert and helps prevents headaches even if you only use it 30-minutes before landing.

Your route from Stead to Bryce Canyon is over areas with a lot of potential military activity. Keep aware of it.

Good luck :D

If you can work it in, recommend an overnight at Harris Ranch (3O8) . Great resort, GREAT food, and a runway on the property.

Well if you want a little, out of the way airport in Nevada, you coudl always stop at Wells (KLWL) - worl’ds smallest FBO - and old Fotomat booth and a self-serve pump…. ;) KRTS has taxiway expansion cracks that hav been known to swallow tailwheels - I’d also recomend Carson City if stopping in the “Greater Reno Metropolitan Area”

If this is your first time flying into California I suggest going all the way to the Pacific and stopping at Shelter Cove (0Q5). Beautiful stop off the beaten path and not as miserably hot as Red Bluff in the summertime.

Anaconda, MT (an old copper smelting town), K3U3. Several small non-mainstream lodges to choose from and the Chevy dealer there will arrange transportation or rent you a car. Drive up and around Georgetown Lake if you get a chance and check out the historic copper smelting tower as you get into town.

BUT, the must is that you secure a seat at the Barclay II Supper Club for some king crab legs or a great surf and turf spread.

Hmmmm…so many choices. I’ve spent 30 years flying the PNW and still am finding little treasures.

First thought - Holy Cow, if you’re flying this far left consider going all the way to the coast and see the Pacific Ocean. There’s lots of nice little airports all up and down the coast. I was just at Mendocino (KLLR) - just a bit north of San Francisco. Nice little field w easy access to the quaint costal town of Medicino - you can enjoy a nice meal whilst enjoying the view of the ocean (sunset, ideally). The temperature will likely be pleasant - unlike RedBluff, which since it’s in the Central Valley, is usually sweltering that time of year (it’s going to be well above 100 next week there).

From KLLR fly up the coast and enjoy the views. Might see a whale or two.

In Oregon, again the coast has nice options (check out the comments section of foreflight for good info on each). If you prefer inland, Sisters (6K5) is a nice little field on the east of Mount Washington (and a bunch of other scenic peaks) and walking distance to the town which has great food and places to stay. The gas is usually some of the cheapest in Oregon.

From there it’s about a 90 min flight to Sequim (skwym - rhymes w “swim”), Wa. The direct route will take you past some of the most prominent peaks in the PNW - Hood, Rainier, St Helen’s amoung them. Dip down and see spirit lake at St. Helen’s. It’s still full of fallen timber from the eruption in the early 80’s. As you head NW the rugged Cascades come into view as you approach Sequim. It’s a nice little strip w bikes - good food in town and if you hit the right time of year the lavender fields are in bloom.

From there you could head east. Again lots of choices. I’d suggest Coeur d’Alene, just because it’s a nice airport and the town has lots of amenities. Beautiful country up there and flying around those parts will get you thinking about doing some grass field stuff.

As for Montana/Wyoming. That’s easy - overfly Prism Lake in Yellowstone. Again, beautiful country. If it works out - stay the night somewhere within spitting distance of Jackson Hole, (WY) - if only so you can get up and be airborn at dawn to get pix of ‘the dawn’s early light’ illuminating the Grand Tetons. Maybe have Kate Smith singing God Bless America over the Bluetooth while you're at it.

Here’s a few pics from my trips. Whatever route you end up choosing - I hope you have a great trip.

Pics in order are:
Mt St Helen’s and Spirit Lake - zoom in on the lake and see the logs from the obliterated forest.

Rainier

Tetons

Prizm Lake

Tetons again (they’re worth two pics)

Pyroclastic flows on side of Mt. Shasta.

Attachments

• IMG_0392.jpeg
    IMG_0392.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0797.jpeg
    IMG_0797.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6222.jpeg
    IMG_6222.jpeg
    642.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2967.jpeg
    IMG_2967.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0790.jpeg
    IMG_0790.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0812.jpeg
    IMG_0812.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I agree with above. Your route from KFalls to Boise covers what might be considered one of the most remote places in the lower 48, pretty, but all high desert and rocks and plains. Not much there but an occasional ranch. The Coast offers much more scenic beauty.

I should add, if all you want to do is check the box, like many before you, it doesn’t matter. If you want to actually get a taste for what’s there, that’s a different, longer, route.

I’ll agree with others - if you can only make one stop in CA Red Bluff would be my last choice! Hot in the summer.
First recommendation: San Francisco. Fly over San Jose airspace to the coast, then north to Half Moon Bay (KHAF). Lots of restaurants, some hotels (a bit pricey). Depart north, stay low, below the class B. When you get to the entrance to the bay, turn east, climb to 2500’, fly over the bay front, see downtown. SF is a beautiful city. Depart NE, stay out of all the B and C airspace. Note KHAF gets frequent fog in the summer (currently (2pm pacific time) it’s 300 ovc, 1/4 mile in fog.) Good alternate is KLVK, nearly always vfr, hotels/restaurants. KHAF does have gps approaches.
Second choice. Shelter Cove. 0Q5. VFR only, also subject to summer fog. Restaurants, not sure about motel. Get out and stick your toes in the water (it’s cold!). Good day hikes up-down the coast possible.
Harris Ranch in the central valley has great steaks. But it’s hot, not much else to recommend it imho.
Third choice. Go to Columbia, in the Sierra foothills. Walk to hotel, explore the old gold mining town.

Re: California, I'd highly recommend visiting Catalina Island (KAVX). It's a beautiful place and has a lot of aviation history. William Wrigley owned the island at one point, and the Cubs used to do spring training there. Glenn Martin made a historic flight there in 1912.

Other suggestions would include Santa Barbara (KSBA) for the scenery, Chino (KCNO) for the aviation museums, Oceano for the beach, Harris Ranch for the beef, and if you like the mountains, Mammoth is hard to beat.

Flying up the Owens Valley puts you near the lowest point in the continental US (Death Valley) on the east, and the highest point in the continental US on the west (Mt. Whitney). They're not that far apart.

Anyway, lots to see in California. I've not even scratched the surface.

--Ron

i’m in Carson City. Your welcome to spend the night at our place if you choose to land at Carson City. i have hanger space for a night also.

Kevin
Kevin, That's so generous of an offer from you! I found out you went on an Alaska trip with my friend Larry. Small world! Carson City would be a great stop! We can get our own place, but I may take you up on the hangar offer. I'll send you a PM with my contact info.

If this is your first time flying into California I suggest going all the way to the Pacific and stopping at Shelter Cove (0Q5). Beautiful stop off the beaten path and not as miserably hot as Red Bluff in the summertime.
Perfect place to stop! Thx!!

Hmmmm…so many choices. I’ve spent 30 years flying the PNW and still am finding little treasures.

First thought - Holy Cow, if you’re flying this far left consider going all the way to the coast and see the Pacific Ocean. There’s lots of nice little airports all up and down the coast. I was just at Mendocino (KLLR) - just a bit north of San Francisco. Nice little field w easy access to the quaint costal town of Medicino - you can enjoy a nice meal whilst enjoying the view of the ocean (sunset, ideally). The temperature will likely be pleasant - unlike RedBluff, which since it’s in the Central Valley, is usually sweltering that time of year (it’s going to be well above 100 next week there).

From KLLR fly up the coast and enjoy the views. Might see a whale or two.

In Oregon, again the coast has nice options (check out the comments section of foreflight for good info on each). If you prefer inland, Sisters (6K5) is a nice little field on the east of Mount Washington (and a bunch of other scenic peaks) and walking distance to the town which has great food and places to stay. The gas is usually some of the cheapest in Oregon.

From there it’s about a 90 min flight to Sequim (skwym - rhymes w “swim”), Wa. The direct route will take you past some of the most prominent peaks in the PNW - Hood, Rainier, St Helen’s amoung them. Dip down and see spirit lake at St. Helen’s. It’s still full of fallen timber from the eruption in the early 80’s. As you head NW the rugged Cascades come into view as you approach Sequim. It’s a nice little strip at w bikes - good food in town and if you hit the right time of year the lavender fields are in bloom.

From there you could head east. Again lots of choices. I’d suggest Coeur d’Alene, just because it’s a nice airport and the town has lots of amenities. Beautiful country up there and flying around those parts will get you thinking about doing some grass field stuff.

As for Montana/Wyoming. That’s easy - over fly Prism Lake in Yellowstone. Again, beautiful country. If it works out - stay the night somewhere within spitting distance of Jackson hole, (WY) - if only so you can get up and be airborn at dawn to get pix of ‘the dawn’s early light’ illuminating the Grand Tetons. Maybe have Kate Smith singing God Bless America over the Bluetooth while you at it!

Here’s a few pics from my trips. Whatever route you end up choosing - I hope you have a great trip.

Pics in order are:
Mt St Helen’s and spirit lake - zoom in on the lake and see the logs from the obliterated forest.

Rainier

Tetons

Prizm Lake

Tetons again (they’re worth two pics)

Pyroclastic flows on side of Mt. Shasta.
Thank you Craig!! Great information!!

Lots of good suggestions here. I'll add a couple more.
Oregon:
Joseph, OR is very beautiful, close to beautiful mountains. Quaint town of Joseph not too far away (20 minute walk?). Definitely worth an overnight stay. B&B probably come pick you up at the airport?
Hood River, OR. Very good aviation and car museum, fun town down on the Columbia River. Far enough to town that you would need a ride, but that is probably available. Mecca for wind surfing in the Columbia Gorge.
McMinnville, OR. Very foodie/wine oriented town. Home of the Evergreen aircraft collection, including the Spruce Goose.
Crater Lake - No airport, but be sure to fly past it.
Options along the pacific coast:
Astoria - very historic
Seaside - cool strip right near the ocean, short distance to town.
Tillamook - not sure if there is still a museum there?
Newport - nice little town. airport is a ways from town, need a ride
Florence - nice town, great beaches, airport is right in town
Gold Beach - nice little town, short walk to beach, airport right on the edge of town. Good crab shack right off the end of the runway.

California:
Half Moon Bay - spectacular flight to get there along to coast, along side the Golden Gate Bridge (be careful to stay out of, or get clearance into, SFO class B) Several great food and lodging choices easy walk from airport. Lots of RV folks in the area too.
South Lake Tahoe - beautiful flight in and out of Lake Tahoe basin. Restaurant on airport
Auburn - Restaurant at airport, famous for great breakfast and good lunch. Closes fairly early. Taxi ride to see historic district.
Columbia - nice airport with a grass strip and paved runway. Campground alongside grass strip. Short walk to historic gold-mining era town, State historic park. Great mexican food.
Mariposa - rent a car here for a 40-minute drive into Yosemite Valley. Not sure of the current policy of cars in Yosemite Valley (I think there is a parking area where you get on a shuttle bus?)
Castle AFB. Fantastic museum of military aircraft. Not on the airport, need a ride.
Healdsburg - in the heart of one of California's premier wine regions. Cute downtown. Airport far enough from town that you would need a ride.
Monterey - need to get a rental car or use crew car at FBO. Very historic (early Spanish settlement), cool downtown, great Aquarium. Wine regions, rugged coastline, great golf.
Oceano - airport right on the beach, campground, short walk to fun small town.

If going to the California central coast, Half Moon Bay is nice but limited in scale.

Going into Watsonville (KWVI) or Monterey (KMRY) (or even Salinas (KSNS) or Holister (KCVH) if coastal fog is a problem) leads a visitor to a plethora of activity options including Santa Cruz, Capitola, Monterey, and Carmel.

I would skip Jackson Hole. Go to Sheridan or Pinedale. If you go to Sheridan it’s easy to follow the highway to Billings, Bozeman, Butte and on west. It cost a lot to land in Jackson, go over the hill to Idaho.

I would skip Jackson Hole. Go to Sheridan or Pinedale. If you go to Sheridan it’s easy to follow the highway to Billings, Bozeman, Butte and on west. It cost a lot to land in Jackson, go over the hill to Idaho.
Jackson Hole and the Tetons are worth the visit, but don't land in Jackson. Go around to the other side of the Tetons to Driggs, ID. Beautiful flight, pretty valley, much more humble and approachable. Restaurant at the field. Then rent a car and drive around the Tetons to get to Jackson Hole and the Tetons National Park for a nice day trip.

Oh, another great place to visit, but NOT IN SUMMERTIME.....Furnace Creek in Death Valley. Land 200 ft below sea level. Furnace Creek Inn is a nice resort. Great visitor interpretie center/museum there too. Lots of fun things to see in Death Valley. BUT NOT IN SUMMER. Go in late march/early April, or late October/early November.

Jackson Hole and the Tetons are worth the visit, but don't land in Jackson. Go around to the other side of the Tetons to Driggs, ID. Beautiful flight, pretty valley, much more humble and approachable. Restaurant at the field. Then rent a car and drive around the Tetons to get to Jackson Hole and the Tetons National Park for a nice day trip.
+3. Jackson airport is expensive, caters to the rich and famous. Go to Driggs ID
Steve: I think the airport restaurant at KTVL closed a few months ago.

Let me second or third or whatever it is the suggestion to skip RBL. There's nothing there for you, and there are many better places to go.

I suggest you come a bit farther west.
The San Juan Islands of W Washington have numerous airports and are user friendly
Also Mt St Helens is worth a fly by.
Then you are only 30 minutes from the Vans factory at Aurora
Our airport 7S9 is only 4 miles from there and has a B&B a short walk from the airport
(Whiskey Hill Store) and yes the owner is a pilot.
I am also a10 builder and would love to meet you
Jim Frisbie

Like Craig "CJS" and Steve Smith, I would encourage you to go further west into Washington and Oregon! There is so much to see, even if you don't land, and your flight path would not get much longer.

Right now, I see you landing in Boise. Instead, land at one of the airports at the nothern end of Idaho (which is the most beautiful part), like Cavanaugh Bay (66S... no fuel, but 3000 feet of the smoothest grass you ever landed on, and right by a beautiful lake... That way you can say that, technically, you landed your RV in a grass strip in the mountains in Idaho... I know you said you prefer paved strips, but trust me, this one is an easy "beginner level" grass strip)... or you could land at Coeur D'Alene (COE) or Pend Oreille (SZT) which are nice long paved runways with fuel (and business jets).

Mount Rainier, just outside of Seattle, is a really spectacular sight. As is Mount Olympus, a little further west, which has big glaciers flowing out of it that look straight out of Alaska or Iceland. And if you're going that far west, you could think about landing at Copalis, a beach right on the Pacific ocean which is one of the only beaches (The only one? At least the only one in the PNW) that is actually shown as an airfield in the charts: S16. (But talk with a local first to check the timing of the tides).

There is a big and very cool air museum at Boeing Field, BFI (the approach into there takes you right past downtown Seattle, which is kinda cool), and a little one at Jefferson County airport near Port Townsend, 0S9 (and good food there too).

Mount Saint Helens is one of my favorite things to see from the air. (Editing to make it clear that Helens is in WA, not OR).

Getting into Oregon: Others have already mentioned Crater Lake. Next on my list of cool destinations that you should at least consider is Nehalem Bay, 3S7 (actually a nice paved strip), which is right by a campsite by a beautiful beach. A quick easy walk from the airplane to the Pacific Ocean and back. And you could camp there, if you're into that.

As others have mentioned, there is a small but neat air museum in Hood River, and an amazing huge one in McMinnville that has the Spruce Goose (and the X-38, and a surprising collection of modern MiGs, and a Blackbird and an F-117 and tons of warbirds from WW2 and the 50s...)

And, of course, you could visit the mothership at Aurora.

So, yeah, if you only stop in Idaho at the northern tip (which, again, is the most beautiful part) and avoid Boise, that will allow you to see a bunch of Washington and Oregon without adding too many miles to your initial plan. At the very least, I would fly from the airport by one of the northern Idaho lakes, to Boeing Field (maybe swing west to check out Mt Olympus if you're not in a hurry), and from there past Mt St Helens to McMinnville, and then on to California (but that's my bias for big air museums and their rare historical airplanes).

Last edited:
Grand Canyon West 1G4. That is where the skywalk is. You can park your plane and walk to the tourist center where they will give you a ride to the skywalk. It’s not cheap, but worth doing.

The Air Museum in Tillamook is still there but it’s a shade of what it was since Erickson moved his collection to Madras in Central Oregon. I’m based in Tillamook and there is little reason to make it a destination. The WW2 Blimp Hangar is amazing but you can see it from the air. When built for WWII, they soaked the timbers in the most readily available preservative, salt. The roof leaks and it drips salt water, hence Ericksons move. They estimated fixing the roof at about $40M. They offered the building for sale a number of years ago for one dollar. No takers. If you need fuel, it’s pretty cheap.
The Evergreen Air Museum is two Museums, the Air Museum and the Space Museum. Both are fantastic, world class. Do both and the Imax. (You can skip the water park but launching yourself down a slide that starts in a 747 on the roof is a unique experience). One of the first, perhaps the first, RV6 is displayed there. You can walk from the airport but be careful crossing the highway. My grandson did aviation camp there last summer. I flew him there each day and we walked.
I live 1.1 miles from Nehalem Bay State. Decent strip just watch the crosswinds and burble below the trees. Easy walk to the beach and only 1.5 miles to Manzanita for food on a nice bike/walking path. No services on the field, just camping, but you can rent a yurt if you reserve a year in advance!
So much to see in the NW. this is just a small part of Oregon and you could spend a week within an hours flight of here and see the Coast, the Gorge, Vans, multiple museums (Hood River is awesome). water falls, Mt Hood, St. Helen’s, on and on…..

One of the first, perhaps the first, RV6 is displayed there.

Yeah, they really need to fix that sign. It says it's the first RV-6, but it's not. My understanding is that it's Mike Seagar's RV-6, from before he had the -7.

Ya, I think Scott told me it’s story and I have forgotten. It isn’t airworthy for some reason. Thx for the clarification. Kind of cool though having an RV in a World Class Museum, other than OSH.
I did the lighting for the Museum originally. Before it opened, I got the “tour” of the Spruce Goose. Sat in Howard’s pilot seat on the same upholstery. They kicked me out when I grabbed the throttles and started making airplane noises……

I did the lighting for the Museum originally. Before it opened, I got the “tour” of the Spruce Goose. Sat in Howard’s pilot seat on the same upholstery. They kicked me out when I grabbed the throttles and started making airplane noises……

Ha! Super cool!

It isn’t airworthy for some reason.

What I heard is that Mike flew it to OSH, and while it was there, it had some kind of minor accident where someone taxied a wing into something, or someone taxied another airplane into its wing, or something like that. In any case, one wing was banged up pretty bad, but that was the only major damage. The airplane was trucked back to Oregon, and the repair was done just to put the airplane on museum display, just a "quick and dirty" mostly-cosmetic job of putting a wing skin on and painting it, and not doing all the structural work properly. Or something like that. Yeah, I might ask the Van's folks to remind me of the full story.

I suggest you come a bit farther west.
The San Juan Islands of W Washington have numerous airports and are user friendly
Also Mt St Helens is worth a fly by.
Then you are only 30 minutes from the Vans factory at Aurora
Our airport 7S9 is only 4 miles from there and has a B&B a short walk from the airport
(Whiskey Hill Store) and yes the owner is a pilot.
I am also a10 builder and would love to meet you
Jim Frisbie
Jim, thank you for replying. I continue to edit my route plans and agree about going to San Juan Islands. Also, my sister wants to see some of Seattle. Plus a stop at Van’s factory is a great suggestion. Any insights on San Juan Island stops? Which island? Where to stay? Any further details would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Yeah, they really need to fix that sign. It says it's the first RV-6, but it's not. My understanding is that it's Mike Seagar's RV-6, from before he had the -7.
No….Mike Seager’s original -6 is sitting in our hangar with about 4500 hours on it - flies all the time. teh one in the Evergreen museum is (if I recall correctly looking at my pictures) is one of the batch made for an African Air Force. I don’t know how it ended up where it is….

But for the OP - the Evergreen museum is fabulous! I spent some days there when I was in the area learning to fly helicopters, and its well worth it!

Jim, thank you for replying. I continue to edit my route plans and agree about going to San Juan Islands. Also, my sister wants to see some of Seattle. Plus a stop at Van’s factory is a great suggestion. Any insights on San Juan Island stops? Which island? Where to stay? Any further details would be appreciated!
My favorite stops in the San Juans are Friday Harbor (FHR) and Orcas Island (ORS). I've camped at the Orcas air strip multiple times in the grass area and it's great. Restrooms/showers located on the field are included in your landing fee and there are bikes and a courtesy car to help you get around. Highly recommended is taking the car to the top of Mt Constitution - the views are incredible and watching airplanes from above with your feet on solid ground is a unique experience.

No….Mike Seager’s original -6 is sitting in our hangar with about 4500 hours on it - flies all the time.

I stand corrected! Thanks, Paul.

the one in the Evergreen museum is (if I recall correctly looking at my pictures) is one of the batch made for an African Air Force.

I thought those were tricycle gear. The one in the museum is a taildragger. (I guess it could have been converted...)

To get back on topic...

My favorite stops in the San Juans are Friday Harbor (FHR) and Orcas Island (ORS).

Seconded. That was going to be next on my list, but I thought the list was already getting kinda long.

If you have to choose, I think there is more to do in Friday Harbor. Kayaking, ziplining, that kind of thing. And a ferry that can take you to the mainland if you get a flat tire. Ask me how I know...

When you're in Wyoming I'd recommend the [relatively] calmer winds of the Bighorn Basin, e.g KWRL, KHSG (World's Largest Hot Springs!), etc. From there you could head out of the basin to Dubois (KDUB) and take the courtesy car to the amazing National Museum of Military Vehicles. Flying north from KDUB takes you over one of the most remote areas in the Lower 48 (Bridger-Teton Wilderness) so obviously you'll want your bird to be in ship-shape. You could fly over Yellowstone Park that way!

And of course there's Johnson Creek in Idaho (3U2) if you want to add some "backcountry" to your logbook. No problem for an RV-10 (but of course mountain flying skills are a prerequisite); I've landed my RV-14A there and thoroughly enjoyed walking up the mountainside to take a hot bath.

Cheers! Sounds like a great trip :)

Photo_0003.jpgPhoto_0004.jpg

Ive been through Dubois several times and had no idea that vehicle museum was there. Next time!

Just watch for the fog. It can trap you for days. Close alternate, Garberville (O16) and the Benbow Inn will pick you up from the airport

yes, Red Bluff will be hot

as others note, you must overfly Crater Lake, a blue water you will see no where else.

I like Orcas Is. Great airfield with places to camp, including a shower. 15 minutes walk to town with restaurants and bakeries. Bikes to rent and a real “island feel”
Lodging would be hard without reservation way in advance
Other islands with good airfields are Lopez and Friday Harbor though FH is the most traveled and touristy
Anacortes is a good stop though it is connected to the mainland by a bridge
(My kids live there so we are there often.)
Whatever you do in the NW don’t miss out on the Dungeness Crab! After fresh Dungeness you will never crave lobster again……

Hello !!!! From E79 Sierra Skypark.

Just so happens to be the oldest skypark in the US! I'll admit, it's Fresno- not all that much to do unless you want to head up to Yosemite, etc. And super HOT in the summer time.

However, I noticed O32 (Reedley) and 3O8 (Harris Ranch).

We aviators at E79 would be sorely offended if you were that close and not visit us!

Andy

If you are flying through Wyoming it would be a shame to not go to Jackson Hole or Yellowstone. A couple other really fun places are Stanley Idaho and rather than BOI, stop at KEUL- Caldwell, or KMAN - Nampa. Lots of RV's at both. Let me know if you need any more info on that part of the country. You will have a great time.

The Montana Antique Aircraft Assn will hold their annual (47th?) fly in on Aug 3 at Pogreba Field in Three Forks.

Back