What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wentworth Engines

Daver

Well Known Member
Since I've been paying attention to such things, I've read of several RV builders who have been pleased with their used engines from Wentworths.

I've not heard any "horror stories" though........

Anybody care to chime in on their experience with Wentworths?

Thanks!

Dave

No horror story, but I was also VERY skeptical. I had Steve watching for an engine for me and he called a couple months after we initially talked and had one of those "too good to be true" engines. Engine had a very recent OH and on request he faxed me copies of the log pages and info about the shop that did the overhaul. I called the shop and got copies of the OH invoices. I sent them a deposit and drove up there to actually see it for myself (always a skeptic). Engine was exactly as described, so I gave him a check for the balance and took the engine home. Fortunately I didn't have to test out their guarantee on the engine but have talked with people that did and they have all been satisfied.

I don't have any affiliation with them, just a very happy and satisfied customer. I will say that I called them a year ago about a new flywheel with a different pulley size and there were absolutely not competitive on that!

Bob RV-10 #40105

I purchased an engine from Wentworth with the intention of overhauling it. The engine had internal damage to the case and pistons - not apparent without disassembling it. The crank was not also within service limits. Wentworth not only refunded what i had paid for the engine, but covered the cost of the inspections from the machine shop to where I had sent out parts (which they were not obligated to do). So other than the long drive to the machine shop, I wasn't out anything.

Scott
RV-7A N653S
236 hours

Bought a 400 hr TSN Lycoming from Wentworth. Smooth transaction, good logbooks......yet to fly, but ground run was uneventful.

Ours too

My buddy (Brian) bought a Wentworth 160 Lyc with around 1500 hours on it. It arrived complete, as advertized. By the time we started it, it had been sitting for nearly a year and one cylinder was weak at 80/40 lbs. A good dose of Marvel Mystery oil squirted in from the bottom spark plug hole upwards, so it could run into the ring grooves, had compression back to 70 lbs overnight:)

Yep, Marvel mystery oil was used extensively on 1340 cu. in. Pratt and Whitneys, to unstick valves.... where I learned about it.

Regards,

I bought my IO-360 from Wentworth and it wasn't the smoothest deal. The engine wasn't what they said it was. I'm not sure if they knew or not. There was also some damage to the engine, and I'm not sure if they knew that either. Under both cases they offered me my money back and when I chose to keep it, they paid for the repairs.

I would be much more careful next time. If you would like more information, PM me with your e-mail address and I will fill you in.

Karl

Back