What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Well they did it for the RV-12, so how many RV-9's in Australia?

Hornet2008

Well Known Member
I'm in Mudgee NSW and part way through the emp, (right elevator). The CASA sight shows how many flying RV-9/9A's but who is building and where?

Ours is RAA registered.

We have been flying ours since April 2011, and have about 40hrs up. And as stated, it is RAA registered. Builder # 91674.

How many are listed on the CASA site?

Bob Dennis

Unfortunately, anyone following suit, bar a couple of exceptions of which I'm one, probably won't be able to register their RV9 with RAAus, due to the decision they made to probhibit such aircraft.

Those already building are probably Ok, and I have it in writing as I'm building, and had discussions with them 18 months ago about it, that I won't be penalized, but if you were to start now, I think the odds are you're going to be disappointed....:(

RetiredRacer, was it you that installed an IO-233 in your plane? The one with the writeup in the latest SportPilot mag?

Yeah, there was a write-up in the SportPilot mag about our 9a. We installed a 0-235 up graded to 0-233 spec's. With a Rotec throttle body injection.

The I0-233 was not available when we were ready to purchase an engine, so we did the research on the I0-233 and went with the 0-235 as a base core. The I0-233 is 5 lb lighter than what we were able to get ours down to. So the I0-233 is the way we would go, if we did it again.

Bob & Robyn Dennis

I'm going with an IO 320 (160) as I have a farm strip. Someone told me ages ago to go RAA but I didn't think it possible to get the weight down to the regs. I'm not unhappy, with the advent of the MPC and the medical situation that has come to life as a result of a lot of dedicated work from the SAAA. I'm hoping most of my maintence will be done by me and things I can't do will be given to an "expert". I don't see much advantage of being RAA given the above.

600kg LSA limit?

With a lot of dedication to building light. It came in at 406 kg (893 lb) empty.

Under what category did you register it? My recollection of the limits for LSA includes MTOW less than 600kg, so that'd only give you 194kg for fuel and occupants.

Was there some way around that, or is it essentially a single-seater?

- mark

Hi Mark
Were you at Narromine and is your 6 Orange in colour?

Nope, haven't taken it to Narromine yet (indeed, I don't think it's ever been East of Mount Gambier :). It's white with blue and red pinstripes, search for VH-SOL on airliners.net to see pics.

- mark

Under what category did you register it? My recollection of the limits for LSA includes MTOW less than 600kg, so that'd only give you 194kg for fuel and occupants.

Was there some way around that, or is it essentially a single-seater?

- mark

RAA a few months back upgraded their MTOW to 600 kg from 544 kg.

The formula that RAA excepts is, the empty weight, in our case is 406 kg plus 80 kg pr seat = 160 kg. And 23% of the engines rated horsepower for fuel weight. Our 0-235 is rated at 108 hp = 25 kg. That's 406+160+25 = 591 kg. So we were legal for registration.

But the buck doesn't stop there. Its up to us to make sure we do not exceed the 600 kg MTOW. My wife and I are light at 134 kg all up. So in the real world that gives us 66 kg for fuel and luggage.

While this may not be acceptable to everyone, we're more than happy with what we have, and be able to do it with a RAA licence.

Back