What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Well, right or wrong, it is done... :)

Gregg Brightwell

Well Known Member
Ok guys, i am not the guy that when looking for something on the prints, gives up after 3 seconds and says "It doesn't say", but here is the deal. Yesterday, I rolled the leading edge of my -4 rudder. Used duct tape per prints, to get the right curve / shape. What I looked for ( for 2 hours), and could NOT find, was a fastener call out (or spacing) for joining the 2 halves of the skin that make the curved leading edge. I looked again this morning before I came to work. Still nothing... Anyone else had this issue? Rather than asking "What should I do?", I will state "what I did". I drilled all the holes out to '30, and installed the supplied 4-4 universal head pull fasteners. I put them on a 1.25" spacing, and that seemed to work well. I did not feel that CSK fasteners were necessary, due to that area not being in the slipstream.

Any Ideas? Right Move? Wrong Move?

There is simply nothing in my prints, or instructions, or sketches that made this callout.

Talk to me....

Gregg Brightwell
Independence, Ks
RV-4 emp, wings soon.....

Gregg, Try bottom left corner of Plan 6a. the plan was drawen in '92 and on my copy has 4 revs.

It is frusrating the time it takes things to find info on the plans, or for me tools/parts I was using 5 mins ago in the w'shop.

Good luck,

Sounds like exactly what I did with the -7, although I think they may have been spaced a bit farther apart on that. You are correct that Universal head are fine.

Steve....

Well done, thank you.... I discovered after work last night, that indeed, the fastener call out WAS on plan 6a. I obviously overlooked it, (not expecting a rudder fastener callout to be on the vertical stab. print :)... ) Turns out, the spacing recommended was 2.5". WELL, I have them installed at 1.25"... should have plenty of rivets in there... heehee :D

Regards,

Gregg

Back