What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Well it's official...

Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
After the flight last weekend with the folks up at Jasper, GA and the option to buy an RV-7 Empenage kit that a fellow bought in 2005 and never started it... I plunged in.... bought the kit... faxed the bill of sale to Vans to get the Serial Number transfered, built a new work table today, inventoried all the parts, got our confirmation on our Reserved registration number.
Got a quote on the insurance for an RV 7 and the requirements for me to fly it.
So this week we'll be starting on the Empenage hit.
I just have to figure out where I can find an instructor in an RV 7 and get 2 hours dual to meet the insurance requirements. I believe the fellow in Or only has RV6 and the AOPA insurance specified in make and model.

Smilin' Jack
75252 Serial number.
N507H Reserved.

RV-6 OK to count as "in type"

Every insurance company I checked with had no problems with counting other RV's as qualifying experience in type.

For example, I got transition training with Mike Seager in Oregon in the RV-7, and it counted toward my RV-8.
It only mattered that it was a tailwheel airplane, since my -8 is a tailwheel.

Mike does, by the way, have access to almost all the types for training. For sure the -7, because I flew it with him.

That said, you may find a CFI closer to you in GA. Perhaps Pierre Smith?

WAY TO GO on starting your project. You will never look back.

congrats

On getting started, neighbor. You are certainly a ways off from any insurance worries, but I think you'll find that the rv-6 and rv-7 will be recognized as same with the insurance companies, and there are several great insurance agents around who are used to working with rv drivers.

Don

My insurance required either a 6 or a 7 but I could not use a 9 nor an 8 as an alternative. Check with em to be sure.

what was the quote you got btw?

i called an insurance company Avemco to check on rates and if it is liability only, it is ok, otherwise, if you add coverage, it becomes crazy. Please let me know what quote you got.

Here is what I got from Avemco

But I'll need to up date this Since I was quoted an RV 6 or 7 since I could not make up my mind. Nothing is firm since there was not aircraft...

for an RV valued at 55,000 with a single limit of 1,000,000 incl Passengers
and a sub limit per passenger of 100,000
Medical of 5000 the premium was 1311.00

For an Rv valied at 75.000 which is more real, then the same limits would be 1500.00

pilot requirements were 2 hrs dual flight in make and model by a CFI who meets the requirements of the policy and receive a log book endorsements.
then 1 hour solo in make and model before carring passengers.

SJ

My insurance company wanted me to get three hours in an RV-9. When I explained that there were very few RV-9's flying at that time we were at an impasse. That was until I asked about getting time in any side-by-side RV tail dragger. He got back to me and cleared me for that exception.

The odd part was that it was written as three hours, not three hours with an instructor.

Back