What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weldments OK? Old or New?

spirit49

Im in the process of restoring a RV-4 that had an accident a couple of years ago.

Asked the builder if the weldmenst are the upgraded ones, and he claim that they had to change them due to cracks found.
Looking at some other posts on the forum, Im not 100% sure that the installed weldments are the newest type.
As I have access through the Firewall now, I would like to verify this area before closing it up.

Here is some pictures:
IMG_3957.jpg

IMG_3952.jpg

Espen

Last edited:
RV-4 Weldment

I remember when it was suggested to replace cracked weldments with a thicker weldments on the RV-4. The weak weldments were 0.050" thick steel and the replacements were 0.065" thick. This was written up in a 1988 RVATOR newsletter, the 27-years of the RVATOR publication, and a little discussion here at VAF.

Could not Copy/Paste what "27-years of the RVATOR" said from the above link but the link should allow you to read what was said.

Those look like the new style to me.
image_zpse213f1ff.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
This is the original welment that came off my -4. Both lower weldments were cracked.

Last edited:
Ross and the rest of you.

Thank you for the help.
Good news.
Shaves some time of my project.

Im just going over the damages not yet repaired, and hope you guys can help me out on some more questions.

My future local controller (to be decided) will have the final say, but I would like to be as well informed as possible beforehand.
Those will come in a different post.

Once again thank you for helping me out.

Espen

Back