What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weldments and wing bolts

jlfernan

Well Known Member
I just finished my right weldment and to echo the sentiments of others, these things suck. What really sucks is that after fighting for a couple of hours to get this in and torqued, I remembered I did not "clean out" the holes for the wing bolts to pass thru. Checking my other weldment, the threads of those bolts go right in, the rest is a bit of a tight squeeze, but seems doable. Question, when it comes time to mount my wings, will this cause a problem? I know the bolts tight thru the spar.

I didn't clean out any holes. I too was worried after the recent discussions on this board, but I didn't have any difficulty beyond what seems to be normal.

Had the same concerns on mine. Forgot to do it as well. But when the big moment to put in the wing bolts came, they went in no problems. Of course I used my rivet gun to tap them in. They went thru just fine.

Weldments and Wing Bolts

Jorge, this is too late to help you, but for others benefit, I found it very helpful to dry fit the main spars to the center section and the gear weldments before building the wings. This is a great time to clean out all the holes and also to trim the lower flange on the F704A for gear weldment clearance.

Last edited:
Back