What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weld-on and carbon black

Jasonm

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to install all five windows and was wondering in addition to the black ring that is painted around the four side windows, can the weld-on product be colored with the same carbon black pigment I plan on using when installing the front windscreen?

I've scoured the forum and other sites to try and understand about how to create a smooth transition from the plexi to the cabin top on the exterior side. I see others are using fiberglass tape/cloth to achieve this but I was wondering can a more flexible product like butyl be used the fill the small gap between the plexi and the cabin top? I would think that it would eliminate the possibly of cracking.

Any thought?

Jason

If you'll search, you'll find numerous threads on the topic. There is no universal consensus on the best options.

But what I can tell you, that I painted mine 2.5 years ago and I don't have any cracking or crazing yet. I'm not aware of any failures or issues with those that I know that followed the same approach as I did.

I used a Lords adhesive (you can get from Aerosport Products). It's much easier to work with and clean up when compared to Weld On.

I also put a couple of thin glass strips over the joint. If I'm getting any expansion and contraction of the window joint, it's not enough to crack through the fiberglass layers.

bob

I'm getting ready to install all five windows and was wondering in addition to the black ring that is painted around the four side windows, can the weld-on product be colored with the same carbon black pigment I plan on using when installing the front windscreen?

I've scoured the forum and other sites to try and understand about how to create a smooth transition from the plexi to the cabin top on the exterior side. I see others are using fiberglass tape/cloth to achieve this but I was wondering can a more flexible product like butyl be used the fill the small gap between the plexi and the cabin top? I would think that it would eliminate the possibly of cracking.

Any thought?

Jason

Back