What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

weights

nparmley

I'm New Here
What are the various weights of the fuselage, wings, and tail assemblies? Do most builders get a group of friends to manhandle parts together, or use various lifts. Oh my back:eek:

I have no idea on the sub assembly weights but the only help I ever had was my wife if that tells you anything.

I'm the same as Todd. I only had one helper for most of the build. I did have three people assist in mounting the wings. Two at the wing root and one at the end, while I put in the bolts.

Even when I moved to the airport, four people lifted the fuselage (minus engine) on a stand, as well as both wings in a stand. The aluminum parts aren't heavy.

These are guesses:

Fuselage tub without tail cone: 175 lbs
Tail Cone: 50 lbs
Cabin top: 50 lbs

Completed fuselage with controls, brakes, access covers, tail cone, cabin top, and doors: 350 lbs.

Assembled wing: 100 lbs

Everything else is easily managed by one person.

Unless I miscalculate and rivet myself into a corner (help!), I do the whole thing solo. A sling here and a rope there works fine. By the time the fuselage is too heavy to move you will have it on wheels. A gurney is the best wing installer I've found. Crank the height and angle to fit and roll it in. Working alone can be slow, but you don't have to explain things and you can say whatever you want when you drill your finger.

One Person

Yeah, it is doable but it makes it a whole lot easier and faster if you have an occasional helper. ESPECIALLY the cabin top. It is not really that heavy but it is awkward and it get fit many, many times.

As for the wings, I built a padded rolling dolly that I used to balance the wing on. When it came time to fit the wings, I placed the dolly mid wing, rolled it up to the fuselage and stuck the bolts through. I had a helper but it could have been done by myself...

Thanks to all who replied. The RV-10 looks like my dream plane, or something very similar. If wishes came true I'd have it now, and would be flying, getting ready to fly, dreaming of flying, or just looking at her instead of typing this. ;)

Another one who did it all himself (QB) - except for some help unloading the truck. With judicious help from ropes and rafters, etc. Just because I wanted to.

Back