What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weight savings glass

Alan Carroll

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of replacing my vacuum gyros with a GRT Sport. Weight savings are often mentioned as a benefit of doing this, so I was curious to see how much the gyros and associated stuff actually weighs. I weighed everything on a postal scale, including the vacuum pad adaptor and gear, vacuum pump, hoses, regulator, filter, gyros, vacuum sensor, and misc. hardware (hose clamps etc). The grand total: 10 pounds, 11 ounces.

I don't have a precise weight for the GRT system yet but its specified at 3.5 pounds for the EFIS. Maybe 4 to 4.5 pounds with the magnetometer and wiring? If so then the weight savings is about 7 pounds or so, which is pretty good. However, if I were to add a second screen, extra alternator, or large backup battery I could easily get close to where I started.

I still have a lot to learn about all the glass stuff but even if you end up with the same weight, won't you have much more functionality and capability?

Cheers,

I still have a lot to learn about all the glass stuff but even if you end up with the same weight, won't you have much more functionality and capability?

Without a doubt, yes. Some advanatages are easy to point out, some are harder to quantify.

Cheers,

Yes; I was just documenting the weight part of the equation because I had not previously seen a reliable number. Its also undeniable that you get a lot more functions with glass (ie you can create displays that wouldn't otherwise be possible). Capability is a bit harder to quantify as Paul points out.

Last edited:
Back