What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weight on front wheel

rtry9a

Well Known Member
Does anyone happen to know the actual weight supported by a fully loaded 9A front wheel? Prefer 0-320 and fixed prop.

FWIW, Im using a different motor mount setup where it might be possible to set up a sprung steerable nose wheel, but need approximate loading data for sizing spring/strut.

I can give you some data from an RV-9A (O-320 + Sensenich, painted w/single stage) I recently weighed. The nosewheel station was 34.50" aft of the datum (70" fwd of the leading edge). Empty weight was 1092 with an empty CG of 77.90" aft of the datum.

Stations:
Fuel: 76.75"
Pilot & Passenger: 92.70"
Baggage: 122.00"

This data (the nosewheel station in particular) should pretty much get you going with what you're trying to calculate. If you need help figuring out weight at the nosewheel for some specific loading configuration (i.e. max gross), lemme know.

My 9A

I weighed recently and the nose wheel came in at 264 lb. Total was 1054 with everything including paint. O-320 with 3 blade Catto. That is probably a bit lighter than most, but 260-300 should catch most with FP I would think.

Bob Kelly

Nose weight

I have a 9A with an IO-320 and a Catto three blade prop, mid-weight panel, carpet front and baggage, and painted. Nose wheel weight came in at 271 with a total empty weight of 1104.

Larry Dickinson
N95LD Flying
130 hrs

Back