What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weight and Balance

Russ McCutcheon

Well Known Member
Quick question for you -7 guys. Am I correct that the pilot and passenger move the C of G aft? I was told recently that only baggage will move the C of G aft in the -7, I don't believe this to be true. What say you?

just barely. Fuel and pilot/passenger do not have a lot of affect. Cargo does.
CG range is 78.7 to 86.82
Pilot and passenger arm are 97.48.
Fuel arm is 80
Baggage arm is 125.78
These numbers are for an A model, but I think they are the same for a tail dragger.

I had the same question

I posted pretty much the same question on the RV-9 page, but didn't express myself as well as AltonD. My thought was that the engine choice has most of the CG impact and might counteract the effects of overweight PIC + pax, but couldn't locate arms for different models. I was looking for a fuel-efficient configuration to cut ROI costs and the 9 looked attractive. My concern was the -9 might be more sensitive to aft CG with smaller engines, but this post suggests the culprit is luggage. Then I read an NTSB report of a 7 with intricate paint (the green one with shark teeth on the cowl) that might have also set CG way back and was a contributing factor in a crash in formation flight. My goal is selection of model, engine and paint (or probably no paint) that results in a CG-stable configuration that is relatively insensitive to overweight PIC+pax. What I'm reading here and with my own limited research is the 7 probably has better CG resilience due to the heavier engines and longer chord, with the significant arms of seating, luggage and paint all aft (in that order).

For me. . .
I have a IO-360 with constant speed Hartzell. With me and the wife, I cannot drive the CG out aft, even with empty tanks. I cut the baggage load to stay within gross. And even if I exceeded gross, but still maintained the max 100# baggage limitation, I would still be withing CG limits. (I would never exceed gross, just sayin, if I did).
I think it has to do with the Hartzell prop.

BTW, full IFR panel
aviator interior - leather
My empty CG is at the forward limit (no baggage, fuel, personnel). Everything added moves the cg rearward.

Last edited:
Thanks Alton

Thanks Alton, appreciate the quick reply (5 minutes!!!). I'll be building a 7A just as soon as I retire and move out of a high-rise apartment in the DC area and move back home to Milwaukee. No place to build here.

I don't know if I'd say it's "just barely"...just glancing at my W&B sheets, the addition of a passenger only, moves your CG back 1.5 inches. That's quite a bit, especially if you're starting off with an empty airplane who's CG is 2 inches aft of forward. In the grand scheme of things, 1.5 inches isn't a lot, but if you're on a long flight and tanks start getting real low, that will probably put you to the aft end of your CG range. Mine does.

Back