What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weight and balance in foreflight

Redbud

Sponsor
Would anyone be interested in sharing their weight and balance profile in foreflight? I know there are differences. I’m just looking to compare how someone else has filled in the data. Thanks!

Below is a screenshot for my RV-8 that I setup a few years ago (ForeFlight may have changed since then). Substitute your RV-9A numbers in the 'Setup' tab. Note the items in the Red box. I arbitrarily chose 1,000 pounds for the lower limit of the chart.

A note for the aerobatic RV's: When I set mine up you needed one for the normal max gross weight (Utility Category in the case of the RV-8), and another one for the aerobatic max gross weight (not shown below).

i-VdJ9wkh-XL.png

Easy peesey

For my 9a the weight and balance is easy.

Min pilot weight is 140 lbs. with that or anything heavier, can never exceed forward cg limit regardless of baggage weight (0 to 100# max) or fuel load.

Rear cg needs to be calculated if 100 # baggage, full fuel and pilot and passenger exceeding 450 pounds.

I have cg cards in my plane because it is required, but if pilot and passenger stay between 140 and 450 pounds, there is no need to calculate anything.

The RV9a is a very well designed plane.

Thanks for the reply’s! I think I have it set up correctly in foreflight. I played with the numbers and could get a too far forward cg, but not a too far back cg. Some weight in the baggage area is a good idea.

One caveat…

It may not be an issue with your plane, but it is possible in some RV-9As to be within CG and under gross BUT overweight on the nosegear.

For my 9a the weight and balance is easy.

Min pilot weight is 140 lbs. with that or anything heavier, can never exceed forward cg limit regardless of baggage weight (0 to 100# max) or fuel load.

Rear cg needs to be calculated if 100 # baggage, full fuel and pilot and passenger exceeding 450 pounds.

I have cg cards in my plane because it is required, but if pilot and passenger stay between 140 and 450 pounds, there is no need to calculate anything.

The RV9a is a very well designed plane.

Back