What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weight and Balance comparison

orenjr

I was wondering if anyone has done a weight and balance before and after painting. I would like to mount my battery in the tail cone before I paint. would like to know how much the paint changes the weight on the nose wheel.
Thanks! Oren
I am installing a Jabiru 3300

How will you route the wires from the battery to the front of the plane (i.e. the path). Not much room in the tunnel. Outside of the tunnel (i.e. under the seats?) through a new hole in the main bulkhead member? Much easier to do when building the fuselage than when it is complete!

An answer to your question...

I was wondering if anyone has done a weight and balance before and after painting. I would like to mount my battery in the tail cone before I paint. would like to know how much the paint changes the weight on the nose wheel.
Thanks! Oren
I am installing a Jabiru 3300

Hi Oren,
I waited until after 1st flight for paint so I did a W&B prior and after painting. My paint job was in the heavy category with primer, base coat and color coats. The paint job took 10 lbs off the nose wheel weight.

Keep us up-to-date on your Jab 3300 airplane. Judging from the number of hits on the related threads, there are a lot of people interested. This thread went off topic instantly to the engine install rather than paint weight;).

Tony

Not much!!

I don't have the exact numbers for nose wheel weight right here but painting 143WM added 22 pounds and moved the CG aft by 0.1 inch.

Wayne 120241/143WM

Weight & Balance

Tony this topic was started because of the 3300 jab and some other modification to Oren’s 12, the 10 lbs off the front wheel seams high is this correct and what is the total weight added to the main gear.
I am trying to help Oren with his weight and balance and the location of the Battery,

Thanks for your response.

Hi Oren,
I waited until after 1st flight for paint so I did a W&B prior and after painting. My paint job was in the heavy category with primer, base coat and color coats. The paint job took 10 lbs off the nose wheel weight.

Keep us up-to-date on your Jab 3300 airplane. Judging from the number of hits on the related threads, there are a lot of people interested. This thread went off topic instantly to the engine install rather than paint weight;).

Tony

Last edited:
Unpainted/painted comparison

Joe,

I checked and my memory of 10 pounds off the nose wheel was a little high, it was 9.3 lbs.

And, the paint job added 25 lbs to the main gear.

I used the same scales each time, but they are not certified scales.

Hope the data is meaningful to you.

Tony

Thanks! Tony and Joe

Tony
Am I reading right that the paint added 15.7 pounds of total weight. Removing 9.3 pounds from nosewheel but adding 25 to main gear ?
If this is correct painting will definitely help my weight and balance.
Thanks! Oren

Nick and lycoming question

Nick
The standard engine is a Rotax 912S.
The 3300 jabiru weights approx 180 complete. Much lighter than a Lycoming.

Tony
Am I reading right that the paint added 15.7 pounds of total weight. Removing 9.3 pounds from nosewheel but adding 25 to main gear ?
If this is correct painting will definitely help my weight and balance.
Thanks! Oren

Oren

I went back over my records and that's what I come up with.

Tony

Back