What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weighed in today...I'm a happy dude!

cjensen

Well Known Member
Today was W&B day...she weighed in at a skocsh under my design goal of 1,050 pounds at 1,046 empty! Sweet!! Empty CG of 81.24"...

6-19-2010-001w.jpg

:cool::cool:

Good job, Chad. Always glad to see a new, light RV.

Let's see, tail wheel, tip-up, light weight......You should be able to qualify for airworthiness certificate in the mail!

Congrats Chad, nice and light

Now I am going to have to find some more horsepower to keep up with you if we ever get to fly together. ;)

Thanks for the open hanger the other night, it was nice to look over your plane again. Sorry I had to bug out early, was waiting to see Jim's video, but I had to get home to help with the kids, so I ducked out during the fly out video.

Ben

Chad,

I know you worked hard to keep the weight down. Great job! It should be a real joy to fly.

And that is with an O-360 so it should really scream!

Good job

Excellent work on keeping the weight down. Do you have a picture of your panel anywhere on the forum.

What's with the girly prop? That'll cost ya!!!!

Good job, Chad. Always glad to see a new, light RV.

Let's see, tail wheel, tip-up, light weight......You should be able to qualify for airworthiness certificate in the mail!

I about choked on my barley pop! :eek:

Now THAT was funny! :D

Chad, Nicely done on the build BTW. Are you sure you didn't leave any parts out? ;)

Excellent work on keeping the weight down. Do you have a picture of your panel anywhere on the forum.

What's with the girly prop? That'll cost ya!!!!

Girly prop!!?? It would match EE!! ;)

I'll post a pic of my panel when I get home tomorrow...

CONGRATS!!!!

Hi Chad.

Congrats with the nice weight! WELL DONE!!!

When I started on the tailfeathers back in fall 2005, your website was one of my favorites. Very well written, alot of pics and lofts og nice info.
It was a BIG help during our build! BIG THANKS!!

Good to know that you now are "almost there"... we all are waiting for the RV-grin!

Best of luck with the first flight!

Today was W&B day...she weighed in at a skocsh under my design goal of 1,050 pounds at 1,046 empty! Sweet!! Empty CG of 81.24"...

6-19-2010-001w.jpg

:cool::cool:
Congratulations Chad. I am always dubious of empty weight claims because builders use a range of measuring devices including those builders who use cheap and potentially wildly inaccurate "Ruggles scales" aka bathroom scales and then go on to declare breathtaking empty weights. Your photo indicates otherwise. Well done.

It'll probably take 4 pounds just to fill the blasted pin holes.

I was being generous :) i guess it was a comment that although he can certainly fly as long as he wants without painted AL, not painting the fiberglass isn't a very good idea and so 1046 isn't really his true weight

I was being generous :) i guess it was a comment that although he can certainly fly as long as he wants without painted AL, not painting the fiberglass isn't a very good idea and so 1046 isn't really his true weight

Maybe not TRUE weight, but by comparison, almost every RV that I certify nowadays weighs in at over 1100 lbs. in this exact same configuration.
Again I say CONGRATULATIONS!

Chad like me kept his plane simple... That is the key to hitting these weights. Mine is now 1031lbs and I have a metal prop, no paint.

It can be done..no secret, just follow the plans and keep it simple!

sheesh Mel, is Chad your little kid brother? the first poster you basically told to lay off said
awesome final weight!!!

and i was trying to say He is going to hit his target weight 1050, which is an excellent weight, we all agree.

Back to Chad: Congratulations for progressing on your build and hitting your weight exactly or near enough to be exact Chad. That is an excellent example of having a goal and persevering through to the end.

Sorry, But...

sheesh Mel, is Chad your little kid brother? the first poster you basically told to lay off said

I'll defend anybody who gets made fun of for doing what Van originally intended the RV to be! A light weight, simple sport plane!

Rivet weight??

Perhaps Chad left out couple of rivets here and there to get the count to make 16,225, and keep the weight down. ;)

(all in good fun, as Chad is a good friend of mine and an EAA chapter buddy) So easy on the harsh replies...

Thanks for all the comments everyone! As promised, here's a pic of my day/night VFR panel...

4-29-09-002w.jpg

It was hard to resist adding stuff that wasn't really necessary to my goal, but in the end, I think it pays off!

:cool:

Lightning hole?

Chad,
Man you were dedicated to keeping the weight down, is that a lighting hole in the lower right? ;)

Ben

Sent PM

Okay, okay...I should've noted that that picture was taken almost two years ago while still in my garage...:rolleyes: ;) :D

What's up with the passenger side rudder pedals? Does your wife wear a size sixteen on her right foot? :eek:

mcb

Excellent !!!

That's GREAT news, dude!! Nicely done.
I'll remember to contact you if I ever have to go on a diet. ;)

Congratulations Chad on your plane. Hope we can meet at a fly-in sometime soon.
Maybe not TRUE weight, but by comparison, almost every RV that I certify nowadays weighs in at over 1100 lbs. in this exact same configuration.
Again I say CONGRATULATIONS!
Ok, If Mel is normally seeing >1100 lb RV's, then I want to place my numbers out for comparison. Here are the particulars of my 9A slider. In the panel I have:
  • dual GRT 8.4 HX EFIS with dual AHRS
  • Garmin 695
  • SL40 COMM
  • GTX327 transponder
  • GRT EIS
  • VP50 Power control unit
  • PM3000 Intercom
Firewall Forward:
  • Running an ECI IO-340 with ECI forward facing cold air induction
  • 1 slick mag
  • 1 Lightspeed Plasma III EI
  • Vetterman standard 4 pipe exhaust
  • Plane Power 60 amp Alternator
  • Sky Tec starter
  • Sabre prop extension
  • 3 Blade Cato prop
  • Firewall insulation on engine side of firewall (7 lbs total weight)

I have also worked hard at keeping things light because I knew I would be putting a full interior in my airplane. I have done so at a considerable price in weight. I have the complete Classic Aero Design Interior that includes:
  • full floor, seat, baggage carpet
  • baggage side panels
  • cockpit molded side panels
  • dash cover and panel edge pad
  • sportsman leather seats
  • Hooker 5 point harness

All up, the interior weighed in at 52 lbs. OUCHHHH! :(
But I knew it was going to add quite a bit so I worked on my weight wherever I could.

So, empty weight with full interior came in at:

Subtract the 52 lbs and my 9A with 185 HP engine is at:

LOL!! That's the fuse panel hanging down...:D
Chad, I have a similar setup for a fuse panel on my 9A. I have it hinged on the sub panel then velcro to the bottom of the panel. The velcro is not holding so I am trying to find a better system to secure the hinged panel up during normal operations. How is your panel secured? I am trying to figure out what will work best for my application. If yours is similar to my setup I would love to talk with you about what you have done.

Chad, I have a similar setup for a fuse panel on my 9A. I have it hinged on the sub panel then velcro to the bottom of the panel. The velcro is not holding so I am trying to find a better system to secure the hinged panel up during normal operations. How is your panel secured? I am trying to figure out what will work best for my application. If yours is similar to my setup I would love to talk with you about what you have done.

Here are a few of pics of how my fuse panel is secured...

3-22-09-006w.jpg

3-22-09-007w.jpg

3-23-09-005w.jpg

Here are a few of pics of how my fuse panel is secured...
Thanks for the pics Chad. That helps a great deal. I like your lightening holes on that fuse panel. I did not do that on mine but I did weigh it. It was less than 2 oz. with the hinge included so I figured I would leave it as is.

Question on the cam lock tabs. I had thought about something like that but felt I did not want anything sticking down below the panel for the passenger to bang his/her knees. How have you addressed that issue on your plane? I was using the velcro so I could avoid having something protruding down for a knee to bang into. I am thinking I might take some wide flange pop rivets and Pliobond to the velcro strip to get it to stay glued to the bottom of the panel.

I plan to put a half round rubber boot over the tabs. They will come off easily, either when needed, or if/when a pax bangs a knee, but should save from a scrape or bruise.

Nut Plates

Steeve,
I did nearly the same thing as Chad, except I used 2 #8 nutplates on the panel flange. The screws have a shorter head and I ran a tap through the nut plates. Not flying yet, but have sat in it lots and I think it's going to be fine.

Sorry Chad for stealing your idea!:)

Sweet!

Good job Chad!! That fuse panel looks kind of familiar, mines on the pilot side. My weight came in at 1059# for the "A" model slider and that includes a 22# crush plate. :)

Last edited:
Back