What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WDYDWYRTW? (7/25-26/2024)

Returned from airventure.

Left friday morning at 9:15 amCDT off of 36 L. Did my runup in the congo line, which was only about 7 planes. I must say, both incoming and out going, OSH had a very efficient system to handle the traffic.

Could not pick up flight following right away. Just as I did w Milwalkee Center, they warned me about a restricted area 9 miles ahead. Who would have thought there is a little restricted area in the middle of nowhere?

Instead of going southwest to the west coast, I decided to go due west to mt rushmore (rapid city) then down. This was due to the predicted thunderstorms over the rockies; w 14.5k ground and 17.5k max altitude, I thought weaving thru the thunderstorms would not be doable. ( I did this on way to, but that was early with no real build up. Mynreturn would have been much later in day.)

Had a constant 15 to 20 knot headwind all the way west. Flight plan said I could make rapid city, but ran short of fuel. Using the database on the G3x ( or is it adsb in?), found Philips City muni airport with reported fuel. Descended from 16.5k; Landed and tanked up. I want to thank these small airports for providing fuel, what a life saver.

On takeoff from Philips, tried for a cruise over mt rushmore, but it was buried in t storms and haze.

Cruised on down to Roosevelt Muni 74V for the next fuel stop. I tried to stay at 16.5k burning 6.6 gph at 143kts, but it was too much dancing between the tstorms towers, so I drop down to 14.5k and 12.5 k. A little bumpier, but later in the day, most storms were deciding if they would dissipate, or continue to wreck havoc on my little plane, so the turbulence was mild.

Roosevelt was another of those small town airports with self serve fuel. But they had a very nice runway, looked brand new. Tanked up and headed out. By this time it was hot, so the density altitude was high, took a lot of runway to get airborne. Managing chts produced a slow climb out with G3x constantly asking me to pull up for terrain. Once I got into cooler air, climb returned to normal.

I gave up on 16.5k cruising since it was later in afternoon some areas had a solid cloud deck. So I stayed at between 12.5k and 14.5 k to get best fuel economy and range. Turned out with the strong headwind, best range was not lean of peak, but somewhere close to best power. Using adsb weather, i was able to see predicted winds aloft, do some math, adjust power to trade groundspeed for fuel burn, and get best range. G3x said I could make it home, but with only 3 gals left in tank. So I decided to stop in Vegas for fuel.

Vegas, 105F at sunset, about 7:15 local. I swore I would never fly into vegas in august, but here I am. As expected takeoff was lethargic, but there was only one other plane in the pattern, a 172. That shows you where all the smart people were, ( not out here) . Controller was very helpful and asked me if I wanted a strip tour on departure. ( did i mention there were few planes in the air, I think I count 3 in all of the valley). I did not think buzzing the strip at 100 feet while trying to climb out was a good idea, so I decided to buzz all the rich folk in Summerlin instead on red rock departure. I ask and was approved for a eastern edge climb out on red rock transition, thru class bravo. I eventually made it to 10.5k and the rest of the way home was uneventful. ( by this time, i think my spaceship knows which way to go.. )

14.5 hours home 13.3 hrs hobbs time.

What a fun time.

The eaa volunteers and control tower were phenomenal.
IMG_6597.jpeg
IMG_6614.jpeg
IMG_6607.jpeg
IMG_6635.jpeg

Last edited:
Went for a 1.4 hour flight along our stunning coast. This is from Mossel Bay in South Africa to Plettenberg Bay and back. Managed to shoot an ILS at George on the way back. Lovely weather and saw a number of paragliders and also a lot of whales.

Attachments

• IMG_8485.jpeg
    IMG_8485.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8482.jpeg
    IMG_8482.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8489.jpeg
    IMG_8489.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8487.jpeg
    IMG_8487.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8486.jpeg
    IMG_8486.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8504.jpeg
    IMG_8504.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
Returned from airventure.

Left friday morning at 9:15 amCDT off of 36 L. Did my runup in the congo line, which was only about 7 planes. I must say, both incoming and out going, OSH had a very efficient system to handle the traffic.

Could not pick up flight following right away. Just as I did w Milwalkee Center, they warned me about a restricted area 9 miles ahead. Who would have thought there is a little restricted area in the middle of nowhere?

Instead of going southwest to the west coast, I decided to go due west to mt rushmore (rapid city) then down. This was due to the predicted thunderstorms over the rockies; w 14.5k ground and 17.5k max altitude, I thought weaving thru the thunderstorms would not be doable. ( I did this on way to, but that was early with no real build up. Mynreturn would have been much later in day.)

Had a constant 15 to 20 knot headwind all the way west. Flight plan said I could make rapid city, but ran short of fuel. Using the database on the G3x ( or is it adsb in?), found Philips City muni airport with reported fuel. Descended from 16.5k; Landed and tanked up. I want to thank these small airports for providing fuel, what a life saver.

On takeoff from Philips, tried for a cruise over mt rushmore, but it was buried in t storms and haze.

Cruised on down to Roosevelt Muni 74V for the next fuel stop. I tried to stay at 16.5k burning 6.6 gph at 143kts, but it was too much dancing between the tstorms towers, so I drop down to 14.5k and 12.5 k. A little bumpier, but later in the day, most storms were deciding if they would dissipate, or continue to wreck havoc on my little plane, so the turbulence was mild.

Roosevelt was another of those small town airports with self serve fuel. But they had a very nice runway, looked brand new. Tanked up and headed out. By this time it was hot, so the density altitude was high, took a lot of runway to get airborne. Managing chts produced a slow climb out with G3x constantly asking me to pull up for terrain. Once I got into cooler air, climb returned to normal.

I gave up on 16.5k cruising since it was later in afternoon some areas had a solid cloud deck. So I stayed at between 12.5k and 14.5 k to get best fuel economy and range. Turned out with the strong headwind, best range was not lean of peak, but somewhere close to best power. Using adsb weather, i was able to see predicted winds aloft, do some math, adjust power to trade groundspeed for fuel burn, and get best range. G3x said I could make it home, but with only 3 gals left in tank. So I decided to stop in Vegas for fuel.

Vegas, 105F at sunset, about 7:15 local. I swore I would never fly into vegas in august, but here I am. As expected takeoff was lethargic, but there was only one other plane in the pattern, a 172. That shows you where all the smart people were, ( not out here) . Controller was very helpful and asked me if I wanted a strip tour on departure. ( did i mention there were few planes in the air, I think I count 3 in all of the valley). I did not think buzzing the strip at 100 feet while trying to climb out was a good idea, so I decided to buzz all the rich folk in Summerlin instead on red rock departure. I ask and was approved for a eastern edge climb out on red rock transition, thru class bravo. I eventually made it to 10.5k and the rest of the way home was uneventful. ( by this time, i think my spaceship knows which way to go.. )

14.5 hours home 13.3 hrs hobbs time.

What a fun time.

The eaa volunteers and control tower were phenomenal.View attachment 67224View attachment 67225View attachment 67226View attachment 67227
Wow 🤩 What an epic trip you have had. Do you use O2 on those high flight levels? And your ride? Looks like a slider 7 or 7A? Your home base?

Wow 🤩 What an epic trip you have had. Do you use O2 on those high flight levels? And your ride? Looks like a slider 7 or 7A? Your home base?
Yes O2 from mountain high. Get about 20 hours per tank. RV9a, g3x suite, io320. Great little plane. Mountain high filled the bottle for me for free at Osh. It puffs pretty good at 16.5k

Back