What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WD-725 Side Rail Alignment

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
Okay...just when I think I'm done with a frustrating part of the canopy, I realize I run into the next frustrating part.

How close to "flush" are folks getting the canopy side rails to align with the fuselage over the length of the canopy? I've twistied and bent the side rails for some time, but i can't get it perfectly uniform along the length. It is maybe inside the side skins approx. 5/64" at worse in some places, while it is "outside" of flush maybe 1/32" at some places (all measured with side skirt on). I have not yet installed the actual canopy...still twisting on the frame.

How close have others gotten?

THanks,
Scott
7A Finishing

Side Rail Alignment

Would anyone have any picutes they can share? I can only seem to get within about 1/16", and I'm not real happy with that. The more I bend on it, it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Do most people paint their top rails the same as the exterior color? If not, it seems like any canopy misalignment (even 1/32") would stick out due to color differences.

Thanks,
Scott
7A Finishing

Mine vary

but are up to a 1/16th wider than the fuse in places. I painted the canopy the same colour as the body.

Was not happy about it...Well below my normal build quality etc etc.....Been flying it a month and I don't even notice it...And everyone else just oos and ahhs at the paint job.

Either that or they are being polite...:)

Live with it and move on is my advice.

Frank
7a

Thanks Frank. Do I understand correctly that the frame will buldge out somewhat when the canopy goes on? I.E. if the canopy frame is 1/16 "inside" now, should I expect it to squeeze out with the glass on?

Thanks,
Scott
7A Finishing

I don't think so

At least if it does I did not notice it.

I spoke to Gus at Vans and he told me the same I told you...i.e you won't notice it...I really did not believe him but he was right.

Frank

I'm now on my 2nd set of side rails, as the first ones got trashed by over bending them. The new rails really don't align any better than the old ones, so I am forced to again due some "tweaking" to get them to follow the fuselage curve. I must be about the only one having these problems, as I've not heard of many others with similar challenges. Dilemma is this:

1) Drill them as they exist "out of the box". Plan on making a number of shims after the fact to get the skirt skin pushed out flush with the fuselage.

2) Keep tweaking to align. Haven't figured out just how to do that very well as of yet.

Would appreciate any feedback from anyone else that may have had similar problems.

Scott
7A Finishing

Back