What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WD-643 Roll Bar Brace

Wes Hays

Well Known Member
Need some help!

Could someone measure the thickness of the WD-643 Roll Bar Brace plate that slips down into the top skin between the F7108A Center Rib and the F7108B Angle?

Dwg 24 says to put an AN960-6 washer on the aft most rivet hole on the F7108A to create a gap for the WD643. But IIRC, there was a shim on the -6A along the length of the angle to keep the angle and rib from being bent or twisted when it was riveted together. I must be missing it on the plans.

I think it was .040 or .063 but I just can't remember. (Old age I guess).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Need some help!

Could someone measure the thickness of the WD-643 Roll Bar Brace plate that slips down into the top skin between the F7108A Center Rib and the F7108B Angle?

Dwg 24 says to put an AN960-6 washer on the aft most rivet hole on the F7108A to create a gap for the WD643. But IIRC, there was a shim on the -6A along the length of the angle to keep the angle and rib from being bent or twisted when it was riveted together. I must be missing it on the plans.

I think it was .040 or .063 but I just can't remember. (Old age I guess).

Thanks in advance for the help.

I measured the powder coated WD-643 at .070. I called Van's today and they confirmed there is just one washer and suggested rivetting the F7108A with the WD-643 in place or an equivalent shim. Hope this helps.

Thanks John, I appreciate the help. I imagine I will go ahead and make a shim for the angle. It is not going to be easy to rivet it on after the top skin is in place. It was much easier on the -6 to just slip it in to the slot and install the two bolts. Especially with everything under the hood so to speak.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Back