What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WD-603/lower longeron Edge Distance Issue

RV7AJeremy

Well Known Member
If you drill according to the plans and use 1/2" to mark the holes on F-717 lower longeron, you will have edge distance issues on WD-603 lower engine mount bracket for the AN3 bolts. I knew this and moved the holes inboard on the longeron but even now I will still have slight edge distance on the bracket.

Here are my numbers. 2d for an AN3 bolt is .375. 1.5=.281

If I drill the longeron to the bracket (I haven’t yet) I will have .235 from the edge of the hole to the edge of the steel.

I called Vans today and they said that as long as I have proper edge distance on the aluminum then they would not be particularly concerned with that amount of edge distance on the steel.

Vans says build on, but what does the community think? Is .046" a big deal on steel? Since I have not drilled the steel, I would only have to replace the lower longeron, not a big deal but I don’t want to be spending time and money unnecessarily if I do not need to.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Press on!

Jeremy, I had the same problem except I had drilled the steel! I called Vans & got the same advice. I bought a new steel piece, made some adjustments, got proper clearance on the logeron and almost on the steel. If the guru says its OK, I'm inclined to agree.

Back