What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WD-421 bushing?

mgomez

Well Known Member
Hi,

I can't find the bushing that the WD-421 aileron weldment turns on. Does anyone know if it comes in a bag or in the weldment itself? Which bag?

Thanks,
Martin

?

I might be wrong(won't be the first time) my plans are 1300 miles away, but is that the one you have to cut from supplied tubing? Is that the one the bellcrank pivots on?

That's it, yes

TerryPancake said:
I might be wrong(won't be the first time) my plans are 1300 miles away, but is that the one you have to cut from supplied tubing? Is that the one the bellcrank pivots on?

Yes, that's it. I saw no brass tubing included.

I'm working on the same part. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you need to trim it down a little and drill it out so the bolt will fit through.

That's it

Radomir said:
check your bag inventory sheet.. (or go straight for bag 1993-1.. might be in that one)

That was it! Thanks.

I saw the bag, but I carefully wrote "Center Section H/W" on it, so I didn't look in there.

Yes, that's what I did

bmurrish said:
I'm working on the same part. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you need to trim it down a little and drill it out so the bolt will fit through.

I did have to grind the weldment a bit to get it to fit between the brackets. Also, the instructions say that you want to tighten the bolt on the bushing, so I gather that the bracket must "float" between the brackets a bit.

If you use a reamer on it, you will have a cleaner center/pivot hole. I found drilling anything out made the hole a little messier. You could see much more scoring with the drill bits. I am a true reamer fan. They work very, very nice.
Yes, you want the Bellcrank to "float". Make sure the bushing is longer by whatever the plans say.

Last edited:
Ran a search because I couldn't find these bushings either. Thanks!

For future reference of those going later... drill the bushings out with a 1/4" bit.

I did have to grind the weldment a bit to get it to fit between the brackets. Also, the instructions say that you want to tighten the bolt on the bushing, so I gather that the bracket must "float" between the brackets a bit.

The weldment must be shorter in length then the bushing, after reaming the inside of the bushing and tq. the weldment will rotate around the bushing, I think it is 1/32nd gap between the bracket and weldment.

Bushings Too Short

For what it is worth I discovered that the bellcrank bushings in my kit were about 1/2 inch too short. I called Vans and they promptly sent out two replacements of the correct length at no cost. I got the impression that I was not the only builder with this problem, but kudos to Vans for making it right without any hassles.

John Harrell
Building RV7A wings, empennage done
www.johnsrv7a.wordpress.com

Back