What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WD 409 tail spring weldment...paint or powdercoat?

RV74ME

Well Known Member
About to fit the WD 409 piece between the F711/F712 bulkheads and started thinking about best way to protect it. Paint or powdercoat? What about the inside of the tube?

Thanks

For the equivalent part on my RV-3B, I chose cadmium plating:

20qj0ut.jpg

I don't care much for the durability of powdercoat and would have painted the exterior, if this weren't available.

Only the exterior was plated. The interior will be greased, probably, so that I can get the tailspring out again if it's ever necessary.

Dave

About to fit the WD 409 piece between the F711/F712 bulkheads and started thinking about best way to protect it. Paint or powdercoat? What about the inside of the tube?

Thanks

I like paint better. Powder coat has been known to hide cracks and to crack making one think there is a crack where there is not.

IIRC, the inside where it touches the spring is ground to a precision fit. Not something that one would want dry paint on making the "stinger" not fit. 20+ years ago, I did what ever the manual said and used grease or did wet assembly with chromate.

Back