What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WD-409 / F-712 assembly question

mototopo

Well Known Member
I'm working on the rear fuselage and I have a few questions:

1. Where are to be located the keeper rivets on WD-409/F-712? The measure shown on DWG27 view A-A take as reference the lower row of rivets on the VS hinge, but, obviously, I have still not installed it... so....where to measure from? Am I misreading the plans? Maybe the location is not critical so I can just install them somewhere... :confused:

2. Keeper rivets are AN426 with flush head on the rear side. This means I have to countersink the F-712 bulkhead (I don't think is possible to dimple the WD-409). Being not structural, may I use ooops rivets to reduce the amount of required countersink?

3. I removed the stickers with the part# from the F-712A and B bulkeads. I have marked them, but now I'm not sure I did it correctly. Can someone confirm me that the rear bulkead (F-712B) is the one WITHOUT the prepunched holes on the flanges? (it looks so on the plans but I just want to be sure)

I'm having an hard time obtaining a good fit between F-712, F-711 and F-779... any suggestion is welcome!

I don't have the plans in front of me but if I remember this was a "get it close" interpretation of the drawings. I don't think the position is critical as long as you keep the rivets away from where bolt holes get drilled and far enough away from the edge of the weldment.

Your signature indicates an RV-7A; if that is correct you should be working from Dwg. 27A. You will not have a WD-409 for the 7A.

Yes it is very difficult to get a good fit on those 3 pieces but perseverance will pay off. Work at making the bend of the F-712 flanges nice and crisp. If they are rounded it is more difficult to get the holes to line up with the F-779

You are correct, the F-712B is the one without holes.

Dave

I started the project as a trigear then switched to TD...just edited the signature :eek:

Thanks for the advice

Back