What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wax remover / degreaser

wawrzynskivp

Well Known Member
For too long I thought that a good solvent from the hardware store would get grease and wax off my substrates. If it dissolves wax and/or grease then it can remove it right? After a discussion with a paint manufacturer I found out why that may do as much harm as good, perhaps more harm. Sometimes thinning out the grease/wax just makes it go deeper into the substrate. Non purpose made degreasers have lots of impurities that stay behind and some are worse than not using anything at all. (assuming you are starting with something that actually looks clean and you are going for 'chemically clean enough for paint')

So here is a product I like: https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/waterborne-wg-remover

Metal, plastic, you name it. Get it as clean as you can with your usual method then wipe half of it with a product like this and feel the difference between 'clean' and clean!

Last edited:
Black Epoxy primer from Southern PU

Yes, also a big fan of their epoxy primers. Shot my whole paint scheme with them alone.

Depending on gun distance and film thickness you can get from eggshell/satin to semi-gloss

Attached pic is just their epoxy primer. Technically not a great UV coat but mine has seen four years of sun with no appreciable degradation. Well, four years of being in and out of the sun but when not on the road it is in a hangar. Lots of folks go for the satin sheen on their hot rods with the colored epoxies and claim they never see any sun fade with the S.PU.

Attachments

• CowlAfter_Small.jpg
    CowlAfter_Small.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 178
Last edited:
I have used them for two planes and three cars; primer, clear coat and sometimes their base. Great products and great support. You can also get the epoxy to go flat. I used it for the top of the inst panel on the 10. Two coats as normal and for the last coat, reduce the primer by 50%. Not quite dead flat but pretty close. The big benefit is that it will not get shinny via burnishing like most flat paints.

Larry

Back