What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wave in wing skin over flap

ditch

Well Known Member
I did a goof on the left wing while riveting the top skin on. When It came time to rivet the row of rivets to the rear spar, I forgot to stagger the rivets and instead just went straight down the line. Got a slight wave in the skin that goes over the flap. Outer skin is ok because there is the reinforcement plate there. I drilled out the rear spar rivets tonight and most of the wave came out but when I put cleco's back in the wave showed up again. Anybody have an idea how to get that wave out? I assume when I riveted the skin on the first time is made an impression in the skin so it now wants to go right back to that position when clecoe's are put in. How about running a real thin strap of aluminum between top skin and rear spar? Maybe that would keep the skin from following the old position. Looks pretty horrible. First wing turned out great but then you tend to think you know everything when you do the second and overlook the small things.

Last edited:
Back