What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Water in baggage compartment

Moura

Well Known Member
Hi

I am getting rain water in baggage compartment when parked. Any RV10 owners solved this issue?
Thanks

Moura

I was looking at this yesterday on my project. I noticed my baggage door stands a little proud of the side skins. I can't help but think that's a perfect place for water to run off the cabin top, down the side, and then into the baggage door.

I really wish there was a lip or a channel above the door to move the water around the door.

Not sure if that's your problem or not, but that's a thought I had last night when working on my cabin top.

Last edited:
With the canopy cover on, just make sure the cover goes over the top lip of the door. I was always concerned about rain getting in the tail cone through the emp fairing area. For whatever reason it stayed dry for the few times it was out side. I would be more worried about water running in at the tailcone and it will the run forward.... insulation in the floor could get wet giving a chance for corrosion issues. Keeping it inside as much as possible is probably a good idea. Another reason why I liked my tailgragger 9 to add to the debate of nose wheel over tail wheel:p

You can use an edge roller to put a slight inward angle to the top of the door.

An old trick from my R/C days to keep glo fuel exhaust out of the plane, is to lay a bead of RTV on the top of the fuse, cover it with a single layer of saran wrap, install the wing, and let the RTV cure. This forms a perfect seal that exactly conforms to the gap.

This could easily be done to the baggage door on a 10.

Back