What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Water entry

Tbone

Well Known Member
How does one go about keeping water out of the cockpit area of your plane? Instruments for the tip up, canopy sealing of gaps, gap between the plexi and the skirts? How about sealing for the apparent air gaps?:rolleyes:

To keep the water from leaking past the front canopy seal you must take several additional measures beyond Van's instructions. Here is what I did on my 7A and it has proven to be totally successfull.

1. Counter to the instructions, the front seal support angle must not be cut into three pieces. Where the seal support conflicts with the hinges, only trim enough of the vertical flange to let them travel to the canopy open position.
The horizontal part of the angle must bridge the hinge point to provide a surface for the rubber seal to continue across the hinge point.

2. After preparing the seal support angle very precisely mount it to the bulkhead to achieve a 1/8" gap between it and the underside of the canopy skin. This placement is vital to allow just the right compression of the rubber seal.

3. Using tank sealer carefully make a nice fillet between the seal support and the forward bulkhead. If you neglect to do that water will simply penetrate between the support and the bulkead and run down on your feet and avionics. The bulkhead has notches between the flange tabs that leave a series of holes when the forward fuselage skin is installed. Place electrical tape over all holes and apply a tank sealer fillet from the underside to close the holes. The sealer will not stick to the electrical tape so the tape can be removed after the sealer cures. Also fill in the gap between the white hinge blocks and the forward fuse skin. DO NOT use silicone sealant. It will contaminate the area and keep the rubber seal from adhering!

4. Apply the rubber seal (black flat one) to the seal support in a continuous piece. I used Pliobond contact cement rather than relying on the adhesive on the seal.

For the side rails I used a 1/4" thick by 1/2" wide foam tape I found at the builder's supply store. This one is closed cell foam and seals very well against the cabin sill.

I have flow in rain for extended periods and the inside stayed completely dry with no traces of water seepage.

Good luck,

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988

To keep the water from leaking past the front canopy seal you must take several additional measures beyond Van's instructions. Here is what I did on my 7A and it has proven to be totally successfull.

1. Counter to the instructions, the front seal support angle must not be cut into three pieces. Where the seal support conflicts with the hinges, only trim enough of the vertical flange to let them travel to the canopy open position.
The horizontal part of the angle must bridge the hinge point to provide a surface for the rubber seal to continue across the hinge point.

2. After preparing the seal support angle very precisely mount it to the bulkhead to achieve a 1/8" gap between it and the underside of the canopy skin. This placement is vital to allow just the right compression of the rubber seal.

3. Using tank sealer carefully make a nice fillet between the seal support and the forward bulkhead. If you neglect to do that water will simply penetrate between the support and the bulkead and run down on your feet and avionics. The bulkhead has notches between the flange tabs that leave a series of holes when the forward fuselage skin is installed. Place electrical tape over all holes and apply a tank sealer fillet from the underside to close the holes. The sealer will not stick to the electrical tape so the tape can be removed after the sealer cures. Also fill in the gap between the white hinge blocks and the forward fuse skin. DO NOT use silicone sealant. It will contaminate the area and keep the rubber seal from adhering!

4. Apply the rubber seal (black flat one) to the seal support in a continuous piece. I used Pliobond contact cement rather than relying on the adhesive on the seal.

For the side rails I used a 1/4" thick by 1/2" wide foam tape I found at the builder's supply store. This one is closed cell foam and seals very well against the cabin sill.

I have flow in rain for extended periods and the inside stayed completely dry with no traces of water seepage.

Good luck,

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988

Back