What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Watch that Bolt Torque

RV3bpilot

Well Known Member
Doing my annual inspection and I checked the bolt torques after reading what others on this site said about finding loose bolts. I would never have believed it unless I saw it with my own eyes but I had several bolts loose that needed to be torqued. I only have 68.2 hours on the fuselage! And I did use a torque wrench when I installed the bolts. The bolts I found loose were in the wing, motor mount, and tail section. Wow... I think the protective paint compresses in time under the bolts, "just a theory"..
I want to thank those who share their experiences so we can all learn from them.

That is one of the reasons it is advisable NOT to paint under the bearing surfaces of a bolted connection. Mil Specs and such call for masking the area under the washer and bolt head during pre-assembly painting.

What about the numerous areas where Van's has you bolting on to powdercoated surfaces?

That is one of the reasons it is advisable NOT to paint under the bearing surfaces of a bolted connection. Mil Specs and such call for masking the area under the washer and bolt head during pre-assembly painting.

How about primer? I'm just getting started on my empennage, and I still haven't primed the spars yet. There's some bolted connections on there which I will not prime if that's the case.

Back