What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Washington to New York

Jackm

Well Known Member
Weather permitting, we are planning to fly to New York from Washington state end of this week.
Looking for feedback as possible preferred route and fuel stop recommendations. So far my plan is to stop Helena, Aberdeen, Rochester, and Lake Placid.
Thanks in advance!

Waiting for you brother

819 Dee Jay will have a roof at Princeton airport NJ. Sorry couldn't advise on such a long distance :D

Usually pretty cheap fuel at Townsend, MT (8U8) Currently $5.10/gal. It's just a little SE of Helena. Nice airport with great people. (No FBO, just a couple of hangar homes, oh and an airport Van if you want to go into town.)

Brian might even be around.

I second Townsend 8U8. I also landed at Hulett W43 after aerial tour of Devils Tower. There is reasonably priced fuel, a shower at the airport booth and a beater crew car which you can use for ride to town. Don't circle Devils Tower too close, an Indian Chief may come to the airport to reprimand you :D

I live in Bismarck, ND. I actually work at the local FBO part time and will be working all weekend. Fuel at KBIS is around $6.00 and right across the river is an airport with self serve fuel that is $5.25 (Y19) Mandan Municipal Airport.

The FBO I work at is Bismarck Aero Center. If you decide to stop I would love to see your RV 10. Only had 1 opportunity so far to put my eyes on one. Please let me know and I can give you my cell phone number.

I think Townsend (8U8) has the cheapest fuel in Montana. Easy in & out for quick stop. Van to run into town if needed.

We've stopped at Mobridge vs Aberdeen going to KOSH. Options are good to have.

my opinion

I would stop at Helena also and use the Beck's self service pumps. They had a couple beater cars to drive for lunch if you did not pack your own lunch, but there is a nice indoor "apartment" like facility that is great.

If you cannot make it to Aberdeen because of weather or blatter, consider either Spearfish or Custer. Not sure which Rochester you are planning on stopping at. Lots of choices as you fly east.

... plan is to stop ... Rochester ....

Fuel prices at KROC are not so good. Consider GVQ (about 22 miles west of KROC) with ILS, VOR & GPS approaches. Good shop on the field if you need it.

Send me a PM and I can give you some contact info would it be the case you need some "local" help.

Dan

Highly recommend Aberdeen and Hangar 9 FBO - great people and service, and be sure to ask to check out the manager's desk upstairs!

Back