What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Washers under screw head?

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
For areas that are painted (rear baggage bulkhead panels, seat pans, etc) and attached with nutplates and screws, do you usually put a thin washer under the screw head to give the screw something to turn against instead of the painted surface?

Some people use thin nylon washers under the heads to protect the wear surfaces, a tight fit to the threads makes for easier handling which keeps the washers attached to the screw near the head.

For areas that are painted (rear baggage bulkhead panels, seat pans, etc) and attached with nutplates and screws, do you usually put a thin washer under the screw head to give the screw something to turn against instead of the painted surface?
I did. It helps but will not eliminate the eventuality of paint damage. In areas where I wanted to avoid paint damage and were not structural, I used nylon washers.

Some people use thin nylon washers under the heads to protect the wear surfaces, a tight fit to the threads makes for easier handling which keeps the washers attached to the screw near the head.
Nylon, yes, just like on wheel pants.

Do you usually put nothing there (i.e. steel screw head bearing directly on softer aluminum) or do you use a steel washer?
No washers needed, but I do like and use quite a few AN525 washer head screws, loose washers are a PIA.
2024 aluminum is not considered 'soft'.

Last edited:
I followed the plans with just screws. I can’t find a single spot where a screw disturbed the paint outside the screw head even on panels I have removed many times. I did use single stage polyurethane paint

Attachments

• IMG_0728.jpeg
    IMG_0728.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I only used washers up against fiberglass parts when attaching with screws into nut plates. There I used mostly the countersunk washers since they are on outer mold line.

Last edited:
I put the stainless steel washers under the screws if they touch fiberglass surface. This makes it easier for me to remove the screws. The screws tend to dig down into the fiberglass and making them difficult to remove, without the washers.

Back