What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Washers (spacers) at canopy hinge point

Dave12

Well Known Member
I have found that adding one washer for clearance as the manual suggests is not quite enough. I was wondering if any of you guys have used two of the thicker washers on each side. The problem is the lower forward corner of the f/g layup wants to chafe the fuselage when raised or lowered. I have sanded some of the glass but don't want to remove any more material. I have tried one thick and one thin washer and it is still going to rub my paint, but two thick ones will work. What do you experts think?

Washers on tip up

Yes, I also had to add washers to gain the clearence needed to prevent rubbing...its awkward because you have to 'fight' the inward tendency of the canopy's 'wings' but after things are bolted in the canopy raises and lowers just fine....do what you have to do to make it work...will be just fine.

may still need to remove more fiberglass

I had to add one washer to each side of to mine just to get adequate frame clearance (even prior to doing the fiberglass work). I too had problems with chafing of the fiberglass itself after I finished the layups. However, I am not sure you will be able to remedy that with the addition of another washer. You can certainly try it to see. However, I had to do a fair bit of sanding to decrease the thickeness of the inner surface of the front edge of the fiberglass in order to get adequate, consistent clearance. Mine still has more than adequate thickness for strength, even after thinning it down a bit. Had to also sand the front, upper edge of the fiberglass, as it rubbed on the adjacent forward aluminum when opened.

Jeff

Back