What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Washers as spacers in F-7108 assembly

mgomez

Well Known Member
Hi,

I'm building a sliding canopy RV-7. The drawings (DWG 24) call for a -6 washer between F-7108A and F-7108B to make room for WD-643, the windshied bow strut.

Am I to understand that it's just one washer, on one rivet?

Thanks,
Martin

PS: In the subject line I tried to abbreviate "assembly" to the first three letters, followed by 'y. It got censored out. I got a chuckle out of that.:eek: I guess that app is not context-sensitive!

The drawings (DWG 24) call for a -6 washer between F-7108A and F-7108B to make room for WD-643, the windshied bow strut.

I think I ended up using a thick washer on the one rivet, and a thin washer on the next one over. Or they could both be the thick kind if you need. This is kind of a "make it work" area, I think!

mcb

Got it

OK, thanks. Since I haven't bought the finish kit yet, any idea how thick the tongue on the WD-643 is?

OK, thanks. Since I haven't bought the finish kit yet, any idea how thick the tongue on the WD-643 is?

I just mic'd mine at 0.085" including powder coat.

One other tip - you actually don't need to rivet any of the subpanel stuff together yet. I just left mine clecoed together while I did the canopy, and it was no problem. Now I'm feeling like a genius because it's going to be a snap to disassemble the subpanel to make the cutouts for the avionics trays! :)

mcb

Hi,

I'm building a sliding canopy RV-7. The drawings (DWG 24) call for a -6 washer between F-7108A and F-7108B to make room for WD-643, the windshied bow strut.

Thanks,
Martin

PS: In the subject line I tried to abbreviate "assembly" to the first three letters, followed by 'y. It got censored out. I got a chuckle out of that.:eek: I guess that app is not context-sensitive!

One washer per the plans works fine.

I just mic'd mine at 0.085" including powder coat.

One other tip - you actually don't need to rivet any of the subpanel stuff together yet. I just left mine clecoed together while I did the canopy, and it was no problem. Now I'm feeling like a genius because it's going to be a snap to disassemble the subpanel to make the cutouts for the avionics trays! :)

mcb

Dang...guess what I just finished doing.

Thanks for the measurement.

Back