What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Washer won’t fit

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I am installing the W-716 pushrod into the forward control stick weldement and I can’t fit another one of those tiny washers (5702) on one side. I even have one of those tools that are thin and hold the washer. There is zero space.

Do I bend apart that weldement slightly to make room? If so what kind of tool?

Those weldments aren't exact and vary from plane to plane. It's okay to spread them a bit, as we're only talking about 1/16" or less. I'm not looking at the drawing, but I believe that washer is there to ensure that the rod ends don't bind when the stick goes through its full range of motion.

If you can't get a tool down in there, you might try making a couple small wooden wedges. Place then next to each other so that they make a rectangle when viewed from the side. As you slide them together, the side dimension will get larger and can spread the two tangs apart. Use the little washer holder tool to slide the last washer in. I know, easier said than done. Make sure everything else is installed and properly torqued first, as you don't want to have to do this twice.

Back