What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wash RV-12? With What?

JerryG150

Well Known Member
I plan on using Plexus spray on the canopy and rear widow. I'm hoping that's OK.

The front third on my 12 is primed and the other 2/3rds are unprimed aluminum ... right out of the kit. I need to wash the plane... use plain water or can I use soap and water? If so, what kind of soap?

(My plane is in a community hanger at SRQ ... finally ... just flew it in from X49 ...now I'll order the interior kit and maybe get it painted in the next few weeks ... not sure.)

Thanks

On my 2024 half bare metal and half painted Cessna, I use water with ordinary liquid dish soap, and it works well. Use plenty of water to rinse it.

Cessna, in the owner's manual, suggests a solution of two quarts alcohol, two quarts water and a package of Bon Ami for cleaning dulled aluminum surfaces. I've tried this, once, and while it's effective, it's difficult to rinse the Bon Ami off. Also it seems to dull the aluminum further. On the plus side, it doesn't seem to water-spot.

I haven't dared try it on polished surfaces. And the liquid dish soap in water is my standard.

A plastic scrubbie (NOT Scotchbrite) works for the bugs on the leading edges, although Castle Plexo works like magic. Use it before wetting the plane.

The best rag seems to be a thick boiled-wool hiking sock like the Dachstein brand. I think that ragg wool is another name for the type. These seem to last three decades when used for this.

I've used Stoddard solvent, gasoline and lacquer thinner on the belly. They are in order of increasing harshness, hazard and effectiveness. Rags, long chemical-resistant gloves and a creeper help here.

Cessna recommends gasoline, carbon tetrachloride or other non-alkaline grease solvents to clean oil, grease and paint.

Afterwards, and after letting the rags dry off, I toss them into the clothes washer. Seems to do the job and lets me reuse some pretty dirty rags.

For the windshield and other plastic - and I don't know about the Lexan, my plane only has acrylic windows - the Castle Plexo will get rid of the bugs and then Turtlewax, followed by Rainex, gives me a clean, smooth window that rain clears off of quickly. For the side windows, you don't need the Rainex or the Castle Plexo.

Suggestion - Don't use the same rag for more than one function or cleaner.

A chamois, real or fake, takes water off nicely. Water only, nothing else, though.

Hope this helps.
Dave

One other suggestion.

Following all that cleaning, spread a light amount of KY Jelly or Vasoline on a soft cloth and wipe it on the leading edges of the wing and stabilizers. It does a terrific job of repelling bugs that would otherwise impact and stick to the surfaces. When the pests hit the metal, they slide right off and leave the leading edges clean as a whistle.

But be cautious not to spread too much on the surface, to avoid any running.

Just trying to keep things purdy!

Drifty

Last edited:
Back