What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Warm Weather Operating Temps

meadeduck

Well Known Member
George and I flew yesterday when the OAT was in the mid 80's and a couple of times our CHT and EGT temps crept into the yellow zone. We weren't making any 'extreme' maneuvers when we got the yellow readings and it took a couple of minutes to recover. I had it occur a couple of times flying solo on climb out but the the temps recovered once level flight was achieved. Our oil and water levels were ok.
Has anyone else seen a rise in their temps?
George and Meade

Well, I guess that would be according to what your yellow zones are. On my Dynon EMS, I can make the yellow zones whatever I like. :)

I did go flying yesterday and my oil temp was dead nuts on 180F, which is exactly what my vernatherm is calibrated at. CHTs about 320. EGTs around 1300 (running Rich of Peak).

If you are getting crazy probe readings across the board the first thing to check is the electrical system ground.

George and I flew yesterday when the OAT was in the mid 80's and a couple of times our CHT and EGT temps crept into the yellow zone. We weren't making any 'extreme' maneuvers when we got the yellow readings and it took a couple of minutes to recover. I had it occur a couple of times flying solo on climb out but the the temps recovered once level flight was achieved. Our oil and water levels were ok.
Has anyone else seen a rise in their temps?
George and Meade

What were you doing to get it in the yellow? Were you climbing?

What did you do to get it out of the yellow? Did you pull the throttle back?

Jamie, the Dynon for the RV-12 is preset at Van's / Steinair as part of the E-LSA thing. We can adjust them, but it should be working in the green.

Last edited:
Jamie, the Dynon for the RV-12 is preset at Van's / Steinair as part of the E-LSA thing. We can adjust them, but it should be working in the green.

Gotcha. Knew that but missed that this was a 12 flyer. :cool:

Back