What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wanted - Transition training in RV-9A

Mark,

You can always head out west and do your transition with Mike Segar (sp?).

I did mine with a friend in his RV-6 and the difference between it and my -9 wasn't noticable. In fact, the -9 was easier to fly so I acutally made better landings.

Bill

Mark,

Bill is right; while transitioning in an exact duplicate of your airplane would be nice, a similar plane is the best you can do. If you can fly a -6, -7 or -9, the 9A will be easy. I did my transition in a -7 and it really helped get the rust off of my tail dragger skills (still not all that good.) About the only thing you will have to consider when going from about anything else to a 9 or 9A is it is harder to slow down and it won't sink quite as fast. Those aren't bad things. If you do have to use a tail dragger, you will also need a little practice taxiing. To directly answer your question, I don't know of anyone giving Xtion in a 9A.

Bob Kelly

I agree with Bill and Bob. I have flawn 6a and 7a. They are similar in flight characteristics. I did my transition training with Mike Seager in a 6A (he uses 7 for taildragger) and had no problem doing first flight in my 9A. 9(A) tends to float and you do need to manage energy well. For 6 & 7 especially CS propeller airplanes, cut the power and the airplane sinks fast. 9 won't come down as easily. The longer wing also floats in ground effect. Get transition training with one of the CFIs on either 6 or 7 and modify your final approach and you will be fine.

By the way, Mike suggested that I reset my idle speed to 550 rpm instead of the usual 650 rpm. At slower idle the airplane floats a little less.

When did Mike Seager quit using the factory 9A?

When I set up transition training with Mike he said that if I could find another person that wanted transition training he would do it in the factory demonstrator. So that's what I did and my father in law got checked out also. Has anybody asked him lately to do this?

Back